In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Seared steak and porcini sauce with sweet potatoes and chard
Gluten-Free, Paleo, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 620 Calories/Serving
An easy mushroom pan sauce takes this classic steak dinner to Italy’s Piedmont region for a decadent yet paleo dinner.
In your bag
- ⅛ ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 5 ounces chopped chard
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lemon
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (see Market Watch note)
- Steak options:
- 2 top sirloin steaks (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 New York strip steak (about ¾ pound; 1 steak serves 2)
- 2 filet mignons (about 5 ounces each)
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ghee (optional)
Calories 620, Total Fat 34g (44% DV), Sat. Fat 7g (35% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 110mg (37% DV), Sodium 310mg (13% DV), Total Carb. 33g (12% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 8g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 42g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Wash produce before use
Soak the porcini mushrooms
While the porcini soak, prepare the sweet potatoes.
Prep and cook the sweet potatoes and chard
- Scrub or peel the sweet potatoes. Trim the ends; cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
While the potatoes and chard cook, prepare the gremolata.
Make the gremolata
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
- Zest the lemon. Juice half and set aside the juice for the porcini sauce; save the remaining half for another use. [Zest both lemons. Juice 1 lemon; save the remaining lemon for another use.]
Prep and cook the steak
- Strip enough rosemary leaves from the stems and finely chop to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp]. Set aside half for the porcini sauce. Save any remaining rosemary sprigs for another use.
- Pat the steak dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt, pepper, and half the rosemary.
While the steak cooks and rests, prepare the porcini sauce.
Make the porcini sauce
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
Remove from the heat; stir in 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] lemon juice and the ghee or 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Juice the lemon.
- Stir the gremolata.
- Strip the rosemary leaves.
- Measure the shallots.