Seared steak and porcini sauce with sweet potatoes and chard

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Seared steak and porcini sauce with sweet potatoes and chard

One-Pan Meal

Seared steak and porcini sauce with sweet potatoes and chard

Gluten-Free Friendly, Soy-Free, Paleo, Protein Plus

2 Servings, 620 Calories/Serving

30–45 Minutes

An easy mushroom pan sauce takes this classic steak dinner to Italy’s Piedmont region for a decadent yet paleo dinner.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • ⅛ ounce dried porcini mushrooms
  • 2 sweet potatoes
  • 5 ounces chopped chard
  • 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 lemon
  • 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (see Market Watch note)
  • Steak options:
  • 2 top sirloin steaks (about 6 ounces each)
  • 1 New York strip steak (about ¾ pound; 1 steak serves 2)
  • 2 filet mignons (about 5 ounces each)
  • 1 or 2 shallots
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ghee (optional)

Nutrition per serving

Calories 620, Total Fat 34g (44% DV), Sat. Fat 7g (35% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 110mg (37% DV), Sodium 310mg (13% DV), Total Carb. 33g (12% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 8g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 42g
Contains: Milk

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten.

*Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Soak the porcini mushrooms

In a small bowl, soak the porcini mushrooms in 1 cup [2 cups] very hot tap water until softened, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the porcini and thinly slice, reserving the soaking liquid.
While the porcini soak, prepare the sweet potatoes.


Prep and cook the sweet potatoes and chard

  • Scrub or peel the sweet potatoes. Trim the ends; cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Add the potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender and lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Working in batches if needed, add the chard and ½ cup [1 cup] water. Raise the heat to medium-high; cook until the chard is wilted and the potatoes are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
While the potatoes and chard cook, prepare the gremolata.


Make the gremolata

  • Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
  • Zest the lemon. Juice half and set aside the juice for the porcini sauce; save the remaining half for another use. [Zest both lemons. Juice 1 lemon; save the remaining lemon for another use.]
In another small bowl, stir together the parsley and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper.


Prep and cook the steak

  • Strip enough rosemary leaves from the stems and finely chop to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp]. Set aside half for the porcini sauce. Save any remaining rosemary sprigs for another use.
  • Pat the steak dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt, pepper, and half the rosemary.
In the same pan used for the potatoes, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the steak and cook, turning frequently, until well browned, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare for top sirloins and New York strip and 8 to 12 minutes for filet mignons. Transfer to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes; cut into ½-inch-thick slices. Do not clean the pan.
While the steak cooks and rests, prepare the porcini sauce.


Make the porcini sauce

  • Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
In the same pan used for the steak, if dry, warm 2 to 3 tablespoons oil. Stir in the shallots, porcini, and remaining rosemary, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the shallots start to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in the reserved porcini soaking liquid, stopping when you reach the grit. Bring to a boil and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until the liquid has thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove from the heat; stir in 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] lemon juice and the ghee or 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil. Season with salt and pepper.


Transfer the steak, sweet potatoes, and chard to individual plates. Spoon the porcini sauce over the steak, garnish with the gremolata, and serve.
Kids Can!
  • Strip the parsley leaves.
  • Juice the lemon.
  • Stir the gremolata.
  • Strip the rosemary leaves.
  • Measure the shallots.