Seared steak over cabbage-plum salad with kimchi vinaigrette

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Seared steak over cabbage-plum salad with kimchi vinaigrette

Grill Friendly

Seared steak over cabbage-plum salad with kimchi vinaigrette

Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, <600 Calories, Protein Plus

2 Servings, 430 Calories/Serving

20 Minutes

We love a perfectly seared steak, but it’s the stunningly colorful plum salad with a mouth-puckering kimchi vinaigrette that’s really the star.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • Steak options:
  • 2 top sirloin steaks (about 6 ounces each)
  • 1 organic rib-eye steak (about 14 ounces; 1 steak serves 2)
  • 2 organic filet mignons (about 5 ounces each)
  • 1 organic red plum or other stone fruit
  • 1 organic carrot
  • 3 ounces organic shredded red or other cabbage
  • 3 ounces organic shredded green or other cabbage
  • Sunbasket kimchi vinaigrette (kimchi - fresh lime juice - coconut vinegar)
  • 1 organic summer squash
  • ½ teaspoon kimchi chile flakes (optional)

Nutrition per serving

Calories 430, Total Fat 22g (28% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 110mg (37% DV), Sodium 260mg (11% DV), Total Carb. 19g (7% DV), Fiber 5g (18% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 41g
Contains: Tree Nuts

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten.

*Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Prep and cook the steak

  • Pat the steak dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the steak and cook, turning frequently, until well browned, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare for top sirloins, 7 to 9 minutes for rib-eye, and 8 to 12 minutes for filet mignons. Transfer to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes. Add more oil between batches if needed. Cut the steak into ½-inch-thick slices. Wipe out the pan.
While the steak cooks and rests, prepare the salad and the squash.


Make the cabbage-plum salad

  • Cut the plum in half and remove the pit; cut the fruit into ¼-inch-thick slices.
  • Scrub or peel the carrot and trim the ends; cut the carrot in half lengthwise, then thinly slice on the diagonal.
In a large bowl, toss together the red cabbage, green cabbage, plum, carrot, and kimchi vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand while you prepare the squash.


Prep and cook the squash

  • Trim the ends from the squash; cut the squash crosswise into 2-inch-long pieces. Cut each piece lengthwise into thin slices, then the slices lengthwise into thin matchsticks.
In the same pan used for the steak, warm 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir in the squash, season with salt and pepper, and cook until browned and starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.


Transfer the cabbage-plum salad to individual bowls and top with the steak and squash. Garnish with as much kimchi chile as you like and serve.
Kids Can!
  • Time the steak.
  • Remove the pit from the plum.
  • Scrub the carrot.
  • Toss the cabbage-plum salad.