In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Seared steaks with mushroom “scungilli” salad
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 450 Calories/Serving
Mushrooms stand in for the scungilli (aka sea snails) in our riff on the popular Rhode Island salad, which makes a great pairing for simple seared steaks.
In your bag
- Steak options:
- 2 top sirloin steaks (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 organic New York strips (about 7 ounces each)
- 2 organic rib-eyes (about 7 ounces each)
- 3 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 organic romaine heart or other lettuce
- ½ cup organic mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- Sunbasket lemon vinaigrette base (lemon juice - onion - garlic - Dijon mustard - porcini powder)
Calories 450, Total Fat 29g (37% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 90mg (30% DV), Sodium 210mg (9% DV), Total Carb. 12g (4% DV), Fiber 5g (18% DV), Total Sugars 4g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 35g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the steaks
- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook, turning frequently, until well browned, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate to rest for 5 minutes. Do not clean the pan.
For the New York strips and rib-eyes:
In a large frying pan over high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook, turning once, until well browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate to rest for 5 minutes. Do not clean the pan.
While the steaks cook and rest, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Scrape off any seeds from the roasted red peppers; coarsely chop any large pieces.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Trim the root end from the romaine; coarsely chop the leaves.
Cook the mushrooms and mirepoix
While the mushrooms and mirepoix cook, prepare the vinaigrette.
Make the vinaigrette; assemble the salad
To the bowl with the remaining mushroom mixture, add the romaine and toss to combine.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Stir the lemon vinaigrette.
- Assemble the salad.
- Top the steaks with the mushroom mixture.