In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Seared wild sea scallops with chard, pancetta, and lemony gremolata
Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 570 Calories/Serving
Thanks to our herbaceous gremolata and pancetta-infused greens, this lip-puckering seafood dish brims with the elements of good cooking: salt, fat, acid, heat.
In your bag
- 1 wedge preserved lemon
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 bunch organic rainbow or other chard (about ½ pound)
- 3 ounces diced pancetta
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Seafood options:
- 10 ounces wild sea scallops
- 10 ounces wild jumbo shrimp
- 2 wild Alaskan skinless halibut fillets (about 6 ounces each)
Calories 570, Total Fat 39g (50% DV), Sat. Fat 10g (50% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 60mg (20% DV), Sodium 1360mg (59% DV), Total Carb. 32g (12% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 8g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 26g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Make the gremolata
- Remove any pulp from the preserved lemon and discard; finely chop the peel.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
In a small bowl, stir together the preserved lemon peel, garlic, parsley, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil.
Cook the pancetta, onion, and chard
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Strip the chard leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves and stems, keeping them separate.
In a medium [large] frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and beginning to crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, stir in the onion, and cook until the onion starts to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the chard stems, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften and brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in the chard leaves and balsamic vinegar and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until the chard leaves are just wilted and the vinegar starts to simmer, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm. While the chard is cooking, prepare the seafood.
Prep and cook the seafood
- On a plate or shallow bowl, season the flour lightly with salt and pepper; spread in an even layer.
- Rinse and drain the scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt.
Dredge the scallops in the flour, turning to coat; shake off any excess. In a large frying pan over high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the scallops and cook without turning until golden brown on one side and starting to turn opaque, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn and continue cooking for about 30 seconds for translucent or 1 to 2 minutes for opaque.
- Rinse and drain the shrimp. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt.
Dredge the shrimp in the flour, turning to coat; shake off any excess. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the shrimp and cook, turning once, until firm and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel; season lightly with salt.
Dredge the fish in the flour, turning to coat; shake off any excess. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the fish and cook until lightly browned on the bottom side, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 2 to 4 minutes.
Transfer the chard and pancetta to individual plates and top with the seafood. Garnish with as much gremolata as you like and serve.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Stir the gremolata.
- Strip the chard leaves.
- Season the flour; spread on a plate.