Sesame chicken stir-fry with udon noodles
20 - 30 Minutes
This stir-fry is a collaboration between Sun Basket and Food Network Chef Tyler Florence. Sambal oelek is a classic Indonesian chile paste; leave it out if anyone in your family isn't a fan of spicy food.
- 1¼ pounds fresh udon noodles
- 1¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken thigh pieces
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 scallions
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Sun Basket sesame stir-fry seasoning (tamari - sesame oil - rice vinegar - fresh garlic - fresh ginger)
- ½ teaspoon sambal oelek (optional)
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Cook the udon noodles
While the water heats and the udon cooks, prepare the chicken and vegetables.
Prep and brown the chicken
- Cut off a small corner of the chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
Prep the vegetables
- Trim the ends from the celery. Thinly slice the celery on the diagonal.
- Peel and coarsely chop enough yellow onion to measure 1 cup.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the red and green bell peppers; cut the bell peppers into 1-inch pieces.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the green parts for garnish.
Cook the vegetables and finish the chicken
- In a small bowl, combine the arrowroot powder and chicken broth to form a slurry.
Add the chicken and any accumulated juices. Stir the arrowroot slurry to recombine, then add the slurry, sesame stir-fry seasoning, and as much sambal oelek as you like. Season lightly with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the liquid has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
While the chicken and vegetables cook, prepare the cilantro.
Prep the cilantro
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Chef's Tip For a creamier sauce, in a small bowl, blend the stir-fry sauce with a heaping tablespoon of your favorite nut or seed butter before adding it to the stir-fry in Step 4. If the nut butter makes the sauce too thick, stir in a bit of water to thin it back out.
- Prepare the arrowroot slurry.
- Set the table.
- Serve the meal.
- Clear the table.
- Pack up any leftovers for lunch the next day.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 620, Protein: 32g, Total Fat: 25g, Monounsaturated Fat: 13g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g, Cholesterol: 115mg, Carbohydrates: 11g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 4g, Added Sugars (Chicken broth contains trace amounts of organic cane sugar): 0g, Sodium: 1450mg
Contains: soy, wheat