Sesame chicken stir-fry with udon noodles
20 – 30 Minutes
Fresh udon noodles aren’t always easy to come by, but they are a treat, yielding a wonderfully chewy texture while requiring only minutes to cook. For a creamier sauce, blend the sesame stir-fry seasoning with a heaping tablespoon of your favorite nut or seed butter before adding it to the pan in Step 4. If the nut butter makes the sauce too thick, thin it with a bit of water.
- ¾ pound fresh udon noodles
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken thigh pieces
- 1 celery rib
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 scallions
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Fresh cilantro
- Sun Basket sesame stir-fry seasoning (tamari - sesame oil - rice vinegar - fresh garlic - fresh ginger)
- ½ teaspoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Cook the udon noodles
While the water heats and the udon cooks, prepare the chicken and vegetables.
Prep and brown the chicken
- Cut a small corner from the chicken packaging; drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Prep the vegetables
- Trim the ends from the celery. Thinly slice the celery on the diagonal.
- Peel and coarsely chop enough yellow onion to measure 1 cup.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the red bell pepper; cut the bell pepper into 1-inch pieces.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the green parts for garnish.
Cook the vegetables and finish the chicken
- In a small bowl, combine the arrowroot powder and chicken broth to form a slurry.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro for garnish.
Add the chicken and any accumulated juices. Stir the arrowroot slurry to recombine, then add the slurry, sesame stir-fry seasoning, and as much sambal oelek as you like. Season lightly with salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 1070, Protein: 58g, Total Fat: 34g, Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g, Cholesterol: 115mg, Carbohydrates: 134g, Fiber: 9g, Sugar: 8g, Added Sugars (Chicken broth contains trace amounts of organic cane sugar): 0g, Sodium: 1910mg
Contains: soy, wheat.