In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Shepherd’s pie with black lentils and edamame
2 Servings, 610 Calories/Serving
We likely have Scottish shepherds to thank for inventing this ingenious pie. They originally layered leftover stew with mashed potatoes. In our vegetarian spin, we’ve swapped in black lentils, edamame, and umami-rich button mushrooms and porcini powder for the meat. We’ve left in the essential top layer of comforting mashed russets. Any leftovers are terrific the next day.
In your bag
- ½ cup black lentils
- ½ pound russet potatoes
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 3 ounces white button mushrooms
- 1 ounce peeled pearl onions
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1½ cups mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Shepherd’s pie seasoning blend (Cup4Cup gluten-free flour - porcini powder - sweet smoked paprika - dried thyme)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup edamame
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
Calories 610, Total Fat 20g (26% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 5mg (2% DV), Sodium 630mg (27% DV), Total Carb. 81g (29% DV), Fiber 16g (57% DV), Protein 28g
Contains: Milk, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the lentils
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the lentils.
While the lentils cook, prepare the potatoes.
Prep and cook the potatoes
- Peel the potatoes and trim the ends; coarsely chop the potatoes.
While the potatoes cook, start the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Cut any large pearl onions in half lengthwise.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside half for the filling and half for garnish.
Cook the filling
Stir in the tomato paste and seasoning blend; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the vegetable broth, lentils, and edamame; season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a medium baking dish or loaf pan.
Assemble and bake the shepherd’s pie
- Measure out ½ cup milk; save the rest for another use.