Shepherd’s pie with black lentils and edamame

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Shepherd’s pie with black lentils and edamame

Shepherd’s pie with black lentils and edamame

Gluten-Free Friendly, Vegetarian, Protein Plus

2 Servings, 610 Calories/Serving

40–50 Minutes

We likely have Scottish shepherds to thank for inventing this ingenious pie. They originally layered leftover stew with mashed potatoes. In our vegetarian spin, we’ve swapped in black lentils, edamame, and umami-rich button mushrooms and porcini powder for the meat. We’ve left in the essential top layer of comforting mashed russets. Any leftovers are terrific the next day.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • ½ cup black lentils
  • ½ pound russet potatoes
  • Peeled fresh garlic
  • 3 ounces white button mushrooms
  • 1 ounce peeled pearl onions
  • Fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1½ cups mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • Shepherd’s pie seasoning blend (Cup4Cup gluten-free flour - porcini powder - sweet smoked paprika - dried thyme)
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • ½ cup edamame
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon butter (optional)

Nutrition per serving

Calories 610, Total Fat 20g (26% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 5mg (2% DV), Sodium 630mg (27% DV), Total Carb. 81g (29% DV), Fiber 16g (57% DV), Protein 28g
Contains: Milk, Soybeans

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten.

*Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Prep and cook the lentils

Heat the oven to 400ºF.
  • In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the lentils.
In a small sauce pot, bring the lentils and 4 cups lightly salted water to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until just tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Using the strainer, drain the lentils; set aside.
While the lentils cook, prepare the potatoes.


Prep and cook the potatoes

  • Peel the potatoes and trim the ends; coarsely chop the potatoes.
In a medium sauce pot, bring the potatoes and 4 cups salted water to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain the potatoes; return to the pot.
While the potatoes cook, start the vegetables.


Prep the vegetables

  • Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
  • Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
  • Cut any large pearl onions in half lengthwise.
  • Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside half for the filling and half for garnish.


Cook the filling

In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons oil. Add the mirepoix, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, mushrooms, pearl onions, and half the parsley; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in the tomato paste and seasoning blend; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the vegetable broth, lentils, and edamame; season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a medium baking dish or loaf pan.


Assemble and bake the shepherd’s pie

  • Measure out ½ cup milk; save the rest for another use.
Mash the butter, if using, and the ½ cup milk into the potatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon the potatoes evenly over the vegetables; drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Bake until the potatoes are lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes.


Transfer the shepherd’s pie to individual plates; garnish with the remaining parsley.