Shiitake mushroom frittata with kimchi slaw
Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
35 – 45 Minutes
We give the humble frittata an Asian spin with umami-rich shiitake mushrooms and a crisp slaw of apple and probiotic-rich kimchi.
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 6 ounces red potatoes
- 3 scallions
- 6 pasture-raised organic eggs
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- ⅓ cup kimchi
- 1 apple
- 3 ounces mung bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
Contrary to popular belief, a perfect nonsticking frittata doesn’t require a nonstick pan. The secret to achieving that Instagram-worthy, lightly caramelized edge on the bottom is to use a pan that’s both hot and dry. In Step 3, before adding the eggs, make sure any water from the spinach has evaporated (pour off any excess if there’s a lot), and be sure the pan is hot, not just warm.
Make It Leaner
In Step 3, use only 1 tablespoon oil to cook the vegetables and frittata and you’ll slash 60 calories and 7 grams of fat per serving. Alternatively, cut the finished frittata into 3 wedges and serve only 2 of them and you’ll shave 190 calories and 11 grams of fat per serving. Bonus: you can enjoy the leftover slice for breakfast the next day.
Prep the mushrooms
While the mushrooms soak, prepare the remaining frittata ingredients.
Prep the remaining frittata ingredients
- Scrub or peel the potatoes. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions, keeping the white and green parts separate.
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Using a whisk or fork, lightly beat until just blended.
Cook the vegetables and frittata
Spread the vegetables evenly over the bottom of the pan. Pour the eggs on top. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, without stirring, until the eggs are set, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly, then cut into wedges.
While the frittata cooks and cools, prepare the kimchi slaw.
Make the kimchi slaw
- Coarsely chop the kimchi.
- Peel the apple, if desired; cut the apple into quarters and cut away the core. Thinly slice the apple.
Protein: 23g (46% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 33g (51% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 17g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 460mg (153% DV), Sodium: 640mg (27% DV), Carbohydrates: 42g (14% DV), Total Sugars: 17g, Added Sugars (Kimchi contains trace amounts of sugar for fermentation): 0g (0% DV).