Spring risotto with shrimp and asparagus
35 – 45 Minutes
Cutting back on food waste isn’t just good for the planet, it also offers opportunities to build flavor into a dish. For this spring risotto, we make a broth from the woody ends of the asparagus and the green leek tops, parts that would otherwise be discarded. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp; you want to preserve the contrast of their succulent crunch against the creamy rice.
- 3 ounces asparagus
- 1 leek
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
- 10 ounces wild Gulf shrimp
- 1 lemon
- Fresh dill
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
Heat the water for the broth
While the water heats, prepare the ingredients for the broth.
Prep the ingredients and make the broth
- Snap off the woody ends from the asparagus; set aside for the broth. Cut the asparagus into 1-inch-long pieces for the risotto.
- Trim the root end and top from the leek; set aside for the broth. Cut the leek in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons. Rinse well; set aside for the risotto.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon. Set aside half for the risotto.
While the broth simmers, start the risotto.
Cook the risotto
Strain the broth into the pot; discard the vegetables in the strainer. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is creamy, 18 to 20 minutes.
While the rice cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the risotto
- Rinse the shrimp, then drain on a paper-towel-lined plate and pat dry.
- Zest the lemon; cut the lemon into wedges for garnish.
- Coarsely chop the dill.
Chef's Tip Adding a little white wine to risotto before pouring in the broth helps to tenderize the rice and gives it a boost of acid and flavor.
Calories: 640, Protein: 35g, Fiber: 4g, Total Fat: 10g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g, Cholesterol: 220mg, Sodium: 650mg, Carbohydrates: 90g, Total Sugars: 3g, Added Sugars: 0g. Contains: Milk, Shellfish