In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Shrimp-scallion pancakes with pickled carrots, kimchi, and cheddar
Spicy, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 480 Calories/Serving
Inspired by Korean street food, these pancakes are a tasty fusion of chewy-crisp textures and sweet-savory flavors. Just combine shrimp, scallions, and cheddar and drop the batter in hot oil for that perfect “ssss!”
In your bag
- 3 ounces organic shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 ounces Mother-in-Law’s kimchi
- 6 organic scallions
- Shellfish options:
- 10 ounces wild Gulf shrimp
- 10 ounces wild tail-on jumbo shrimp
- 10 ounces wild sea scallops
- 1 organic egg
- ⅓ cup grated cheddar
- Sunbasket Asian savory pancake blend (rice flour - all-purpose flour - cornstarch - brown sugar - onion powder - granulated garlic)
- Sunbasket Asian dipping sauce (gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - toasted sesame oil)
Calories 480, Total Fat 19g (24% DV), Sat. Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 245mg (82% DV), Sodium 1100mg (48% DV), Total Carb. 46g (17% DV), Fiber 5g (18% DV), Total Sugars 6g (Incl. 2g Added Sugars, 4% DV), Protein 29g
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Pickle the carrots; prep the kimchi
- In a small bowl, combine the carrots and rice vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Coarsely chop the kimchi; set aside for serving.
Make the pancake batter
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal. Set aside 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] for garnish.
- Rinse and drain the shellfish. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Lay the shellfish flat and carefully cut each in half horizontally, then coarsely chop; season lightly with salt and pepper.
Crack the egg into a medium bowl and lightly beat with a fork until just blended. Add the shellfish, cheddar, and all but 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] scallions. Season generously with salt and pepper and stir until combined. Add the Asian savory pancake blend and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] water and stir until blended.
Cook the pancakes
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches so as to not crowd the pan, use a ladle or ¼-cup measuring cup to add ¼ cup batter to the pan for each pancake. Cook the pancakes, turning once, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover with a clean kitchen towel to keep warm. Add more oil between batches if needed.
Transfer the pancakes to individual plates and garnish with the remaining scallions. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pickled carrots from the brine. Serve the carrots, kimchi, and Asian dipping sauce on the side.
- Pickle the carrots.
- Measure the scallions.
- Measure the water for the pancake batter.
- Time the pancakes.
- Garnish with the scallions.