Spicy shrimp tacos diablo with pickled cabbage and lime
Gluten Free, Soy Free, spicy
25 - 35 Minutes
Chef Justine simmers wild Gulf shrimp in her lush diablo sauce so that the shellfish soak up its rich flavors. She makes the sauce with tomatoes, oregano, and dried New Mexican chiles, which are sweet with just enough heat to keep things interesting. Taco night may never be the same.
- ¼ pound Savoy cabbage
- Fresh cilantro
- Quick pickle brine (rice vinegar - maple syrup)
- 1 poblano chile pepper
- 10 ounces wild Gulf shrimp
- 1 lime
- Diablo sauce (tomatoes - tomato paste - New Mexican chiles - fresh garlic - coriander - dried oregano - olive oil - salt)
- 6 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- 1½ ounces queso fresco
- ¼ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
Make the quick-pickled cabbage
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Coarsely chop half the cilantro; set aside the remaining sprigs for garnish.
Cook the poblano
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the poblano; thinly slice the poblano. Wash your hands after handling
Cook the shrimp
- Rinse the shrimp, then drain on a paper-towel-lined plate and pat dry.
- Juice half the lime; cut the other half into wedges for garnish.
Warm the tortillas
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 770, Protein: 35 g, Total Fat: 34 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 12.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 4.5 g, Cholesterol: 185 mg, Carbohydrates: 85 g, Fiber: 15 g, Added Sugar (Maple Syrup): 6 g, Sodium: 1340 mg
Contains: milk, shellfish