In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Sicilian chicken and kale with green olives, capers, and lemon
Lean & Clean, Paleo, Mediterranean, Protein Plus, Carb-Conscious, Soy-Free, <600 Calories, Gluten-Free, Diabetes-Friendly, Dairy-Free
2 Servings, 380 Calories/Serving
Blue skies, white sand, and the sun-drenched flavors of Southern Italy. That’s right, this one-pan meal is like a seaside escape, complete with juicy organic chicken, wilted greens, and Castelvetrano olives.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 organic boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 to 4 organic boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- ¼ cup pitted Castelvetrano olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 organic lemon
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 5 ounces organic shredded kale or other leafy greens
- 3 ounces organic baby spinach or other leafy greens
Calories 380, Total Fat 18g (23% DV), Sat. Fat 2.5g (13% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 125mg (42% DV), Sodium 530mg (23% DV), Total Carb. 16g (6% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 4g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 43g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side for thighs, 4 to 6 minutes per side for breasts. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure ⅓ cup [⅔ cup].
- Thinly slice the olives crosswise, checking for any pits.
- Rinse the capers.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
Cook the kale and spinach
In the same pan used for the chicken, if dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, olives, and capers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest, 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] lemon juice, ¼ cup [½ cup] water, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] butter or 1 to 2 teaspoons oil (from your pantry).
Working in batches if needed, add the kale and spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are wilted and the liquid has thickened to a glaze, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the kale and spinach to individual plates and top with the chicken. Garnish with the parsley and serve.
- Measure the onion.
- Rinse the capers.
- Juice the lemon.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Measure the lemon juice and water for the greens.