In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Sicilian chicken and kale with green olives, capers, and lemon
Carb-Conscious, Dairy-Free, Diabetes-Friendly, Gluten-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Soy-Free, Paleo
2 Servings, 400 Calories/Serving
Inspired by the sun-drenched flavors of Southern Italy, this Mediterranean meal requires only one pan and about 20 minutes to get on the table.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 organic boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 to 4 organic boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- ¼ cup pitted Castelvetrano olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 organic lemon
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 5 ounces organic shredded kale or other leafy greens
- 3 ounces organic baby spinach or other leafy greens
Calories: 400, Protein: 43g (86% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 18g (28% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g (13% DV), Cholesterol: 125mg (42% DV), Sodium: 550mg (23% DV), Carbohydrates: 19g (6% DV), Total Sugars: 5g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side for thighs, 4 to 6 minutes per side for breasts. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice enough shallots to measure ⅓ cup [⅔ cup].
- Thinly slice the olives crosswise, checking for any pits.
- Rinse the capers.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
Cook the kale and spinach
In the same pan used for the chicken, if dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the shallots, olives, and capers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest, 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] lemon juice, ¼ cup [½ cup] water, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] butter or 1 to 2 teaspoons oil (from your pantry).
Working in batches if needed, add the kale and spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are wilted and the sauce has thickened to a glaze, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the greens to individual plates and top with the chicken. Garnish with the parsley and serve.
- Measure the shallots.
- Rinse the capers.
- Juice the lemon.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Measure the lemon juice and water for the greens.