Shrimp pad thai
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
20 – 30 Minutes
Made with wild Gulf shrimp and pastured eggs and topped with thinly sliced snow peas, our fast, healthy spin on pad thai is gluten-free thanks to rice noodles.
- ¼ pound flat rice noodles
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 10 ounces peeled wild Gulf shrimp or jumbo shrimp
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- ½ teaspoon kimchi chile flakes (optional)
- 1 ounce mung bean sprouts
- Pad thai sauce base (rice vinegar - fish sauce - brown sugar)
- 3 scallions
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons roasted cashews
- 5 ounces snow peas
- 1 lime
Pad thai means, simply, “shrimp in a Thai style.” In Thailand, it’s traditionally made with dried shrimp; fresh shrimp are a more recent and luxurious addition.
Cook the rice noodles
While the water heats and the noodles cook, prepare the pad thai.
Prep the pad thai ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Rinse the shrimp, then drain on a paper-towel-lined plate and pat dry.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl. With a whisk or fork, lightly beat until just blended.
Start the pad thai
Add the rice noodles, eggs, mung bean sprouts, and pad thai sauce base and cook, stirring often, until the eggs are cooked and the noodles are well coated with the sauce, 2 to 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the pad thai cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the pad thai
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; finely chop the scallions.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Coarsely chop the cashews for garnish.
- Thinly slice the snow peas lengthwise for garnish.
- Cut the lime into wedges for garnish.
Calories: 640, Protein: 38g (76% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 18g (28% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g (13% DV), Cholesterol: 365mg (122% DV), Sodium: 1010mg (42% DV), Carbohydrates: 71g (24% DV), Total Sugars: 14g, Added Sugars: (Brown sugar): 7g (14% DV). Contains: Eggs, Fish, Shellfish, Tree Nuts
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.