Shrimp pad thai
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
20 - 30 Minutes
This is one of the world’s most beloved stir-fries for good reasons. Most of us buy it to-go, but it comes together so easily, it’s worth adding to your weeknight repertoire—especially when we send you the ingredients. The name means merely “shrimp in a Thai style.” In Thailand, it’s traditionally made with dried shrimp; fresh are a more recent, luxurious addition. The rice noodles are cooked twice, so be careful not to over-soak them in the first step. You want them to retain their delicate, chewy texture.
- ¼ pound flat rice noodles
- 1 to 2 shallots
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- 3 scallions
- Fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 1 lime
- 10 ounces wild Gulf shrimp
- ½ teaspoon kimchi chile flakes (optional)
- 3 ounces bean sprouts
- Pad thai sauce (fish sauce - brown sugar - rice vinegar)
Soak the rice noodles
- Set the rice noodles in a large bowl.
While the water heats and the noodles soak, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the pad thai ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice the shallot.
- Finely chop enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and lightly beat.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; finely chop the scallions.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Coarsely chop the peanuts.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
Cook the pad thai
- Rinse the shrimp and pat dry.
Add the shrimp and as much kimchi flakes as you like. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp is pink and just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the rice noodles, eggs, bean sprouts, and pad thai sauce and cook, stirring, until the egg is cooked and the noodles are well coated in the sauce, 2 to 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if needed. Remove from the heat and stir in the scallions and cilantro.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 670, Protein: 34 g, Total Fat: 26 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 13 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 3.5 g, Cholesterol: 340 mg, Carbohydrates: 79 g, Fiber: 5 g, Added Sugar (brown sugar): 7 g, Sodium: 1590 mg
Contains: eggs, peanuts, shellfish, fish