Shrimp pad thai
Gluten Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
20 – 30 Minutes
Made with wild Gulf shrimp and pastured eggs, our healthy spin on the beloved stir-fry is fast and gluten-free, thanks to quick-cooking rice noodles.
- ¼ pound flat rice noodles
- 1 or 2 shallots
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 10 ounces wild Gulf shrimp
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- ½ teaspoon kimchi chile flakes (optional)
- 1 ounce bean sprouts
- Pad thai sauce base (rice vinegar - fish sauce - brown sugar)
- 3 scallions
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons roasted cashews
- 1 lime
Pad thai means, simply, “shrimp in a Thai style.” In Thailand, it’s traditionally made with dried shrimp; fresh shrimp are a more recent and luxurious addition. The rice noodles are cooked twice, so be careful not to oversoak them in the first step. You want them to retain their delicate, chewy texture.
Soak the rice noodles
- Set the rice noodles in a large heatproof bowl.
While the water heats and the noodles soak, prepare the pad thai.
Prep the pad thai ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Rinse the shrimp, then drain on a paper-towel-lined plate and pat dry.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl. With a whisk or fork, lightly beat until just blended.
Start the pad thai
Add the shrimp and as many kimchi chile flakes as you like. Cook, turning once or twice, until the shrimp are firm and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the rice noodles, eggs, bean sprouts, and pad thai sauce base and cook, stirring, until the eggs are cooked and the noodles are well coated with the sauce, 2 to 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the pad thai cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the pad thai
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; finely chop the scallions.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Coarsely chop the cashews for garnish.
- Cut the lime into wedges for garnish.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 37g (74% DV), Fiber: 4g (16% DV), Total Fat: 20g (31% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 11g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g (13% DV), Cholesterol: 365mg (122% DV), Sodium: 1190mg (50% DV), Carbohydrates: 68g (23% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars (Brown sugar): 7g (14% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: fish, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish.