In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Beef sloppy joes with pickled jalapeños and classic creamy coleslaw
Dairy-Free, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 700 Calories/Serving
Whether this sandwich was invented by a line cook named Joe in Iowa or a bar owner nicknamed “Sloppy Joe” in Cuba, one thing’s for sure: it’s a classic for the ages.
In your bag
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 10 ounces ground beef
- Sunbasket sloppy joe sauce base (ketchup - vegan Worcestershire - Dijon mustard - apple cider vinegar - brown sugar)
- 2 ounces organic shredded green or other cabbage
- 2 ounces organic shredded red or other cabbage
- 2 ounces organic shredded carrots
- Sunbasket coleslaw dressing (paleo mayo - honey - apple cider vinegar - celery seeds)
- 2 whole wheat buns
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeños (optional)
Calories 700, Total Fat 38g (49% DV), Sat. Fat 9g (45% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 90mg (30% DV), Sodium 1040mg (45% DV), Total Carb. 63g (23% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 25g (Incl. 17g Added Sugars, 34% DV), Protein 29g
Contains: Eggs, Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the sloppy joe filling
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Cut a small corner from the ground beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the beef, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
Stir in the sloppy joe sauce base and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] water and cook until the sauce is thickened slightly and the beef is cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the sloppy joe filling is cooking, prepare the coleslaw and buns.
Make the coleslaw
In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, carrots, and coleslaw dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Toast the buns
In a medium frying pan, place the buns, cut sides down, and cook over medium-high heat until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Alternatively, toast them in a toaster oven.
Place the bun bottoms, cut sides up, on individual plates and top with the sloppy joe filling. Spoon on the coleslaw and top with as many pickled jalapeños as you like. Close with the bun tops. Serve the remaining coleslaw on the side.
- Measure the onion.
- Measure the water for the sloppy joe filling.
- Assemble the coleslaw.
- Top the sloppy joe filling with coleslaw.