Sloppy Joes with radish-cucumber salad
20 - 30 Minutes
Contrary to its name, a great Sloppy Joe shouldn’t make a mess. The meat should be moist but not too wet; you should be able to pick up the sandwich with your hands. We’ve added mild green chiles and roasted tomatillos for a south-of the border twist. If you want to slip some of the salad inside the buns, we encourage it. The crisp cabbage, radish, and cucumber balance the rich beef. Then, if a little meat does fall out of the sandwich, just grab a spoon and enjoy it with any salad left on the side.
- 1 pound ground beef
- Sloppy Joe seasoning blend (Worcestershire sauce - tomato paste - granulated garlic - cumin - coriander - chili powder)
- ¼ cup diced mild green chiles
- 3 ounces crushed roasted tomatillos
- 4 whole wheat buns
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 limes
- ½ pound Savoy cabbage
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- 1 Persian cucumber
- 1 avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños (optional)
Prep and cook the beef
- Cut a small corner from the ground beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate and pat dry with a paper towel.
While the beef cooks, prepare the buns.
Toast the buns and melt the cheese
Prep the salad ingredients
- Juice the limes.
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Trim the ends from the radishes. Cut the radishes in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
- Trim the ends from the cucumber; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Dress the salad
- Put the cheese on the buns.
- Juice the limes.
- Dress the salad.
- Serve the meal.
- Clear the table.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 630, Protein: 33 g, Total Fat: 35 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 17 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 11 g, Cholesterol: 100 mg, Carbohydrates: 41 g, Fiber: 8 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 720 mg
Contains: milk, soy, wheat