In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Sloppy Joes with cucumber-radish salad
4 Servings, 620 Calories/Serving
These family-friendly ground beef sandwiches get a fun south-of-the-border twist from mild green chiles plus pickled jalapeños, if you like the heat.
In your bag
- 1 pound ground beef
- Sloppy Joe seasoning blend (vegan Worcestershire sauce - tomato paste - granulated garlic - chili powder - cumin - coriander)
- ¼ cup diced mild green chiles
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 4 whole wheat buns
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 limes
- 1 wedge Savoy cabbage (about ½ pound)
- 2 or 3 radishes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños (optional)
Who Was Joe?
And why was he so sloppy? Our favorite story goes, José Abeal y Otero ran a bar in Havana, Cuba, where he earned the nickname Sloppy Joe for his lack of tidiness, and served the sandwiches to regulars like Ernest Hemingway. Lore has it Hemingway himself introduced them to the United States.
Make It Ahead
The beef filling (Step 1) can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight. Fifteen to twenty minutes before serving, gently rewarm the beef filling as you proceed with Steps 2 through 5.
Calories: 620, Protein: 32g (64% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 35g (54% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 17g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 11g (55% DV), Cholesterol: 100mg (33% DV), Sodium: 530mg (22% DV), Carbohydrates: 40g (13% DV), Total Sugars: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the beef
- Cut a small corner from the beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
While the beef cooks, prepare the buns.
Toast the buns and melt the cheese
While the buns toast, prepare the salad.
Prep the salad ingredients
- Juice the limes.
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Trim the ends from the radishes. Cut them in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Dress the salad
- Put the cheese on the buns.
- Juice the limes.
- Dress the salad.
- Serve the meal.
- Clear the table.