In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Smoky chicken tacos with black beans and chile-lime salsa
Soy-Free, Diabetes-Friendly, Gluten-Free, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Mediterranean
2 Servings, 520 Calories/Serving
Let’s taco ‘bout this dish. Inspired by the fare at one of our favorite Mexican hot spots, these hearty tacos feature your choice of protein, a smoky spice rub, and tangy chile-lime salsa.
In your bag
- Sunbasket smoky spice blend (chili powder - coriander - cumin - sweet smoked paprika - granulated garlic)
- Sunbasket chile-lime salsa (crushed tomatillos - lime juice - dried New Mexican chiles - garlic - kosher salt)
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 organic Gala or other apple
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 8 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
Calories: 520, Protein: 42g (84% DV), Fiber: 13g (52% DV), Total Fat: 9g (14% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g, Saturated Fat: 1.5g (8% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 310mg (13% DV), Carbohydrates: 68g (23% DV), Total Sugars: 17g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook your protein
- Chicken, steak, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season lightly with salt and pepper and the smoky spice blend.
- Shrimp or scallops: Rinse and drain the shrimp or scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper and the smoky spice blend.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; crumble or cut it into ½-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper and the smoky spice blend.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel; cut any large pieces in half, then season with salt and pepper and the smoky spice blend.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes for regular shrimp; 4 to 6 minutes for jumbo shrimp, scallops, steak, pork, tofu, or plant-based chicken; and 6 to 8 minutes for chicken. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in up to half the chile-lime salsa (set aside the remaining salsa for serving). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Do not clean the pan. While your protein is cooking, prepare the beans and onion.
Prep and cook the beans and onion
- Rinse the black beans.
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion; measure out ¾ cup [1½ cups] for the beans; set aside any remaining onion for garnish.
In the same pan used for your protein, if dry, add 2 to 3 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the beans and ¾ cup [1½ cups] onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are heated through and the onion is just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the garnishes; warm the tortillas
- Peel the apple, if desired; core and cut into matchsticks.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
On the stovetop directly over a flame, or in a dry medium frying pan over medium heat, warm the tortillas, turning once, until just pliable and warmed through, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer to a clean kitchen towel, cover, and keep warm.
Set out the tortillas, your protein, beans, apple, cilantro, the remaining chile-lime salsa, and any remaining onion. Invite everyone to assemble their own tacos.
- Rinse the beans.
- Measure the onion.
- Time the cooking.
- Help set out the taco fixings.