In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Smoky tempeh nachos with cucumber-grape salsa and chipotle-cashew sauce
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegan, Spicy, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 710 Calories/Serving
Piled high with crisp tortilla chips, pickled jalapeños, chunky salsa, and “cheesy” chipotle-cashew sauce, these smoky tempeh nachos will rock your world.
In your bag
- ½ pound organic flax tempeh
- 1 organic cucumber
- 3 ounces organic red or other grapes
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 organic lime
- Sunbasket smoky chili spice blend (chili powder - coriander - cumin - sweet smoked paprika - granulated garlic)
- Sunbasket chipotle-cashew sauce base (water - cashews - chipotle chiles in gluten-free adobo - nutritional yeast - kosher salt - garlic - cumin - chili powder)
- Tortilla chips
- 3 tablespoons pickled jalapeños (optional)
Nutrition per serving
Calories 710, Total Fat 37g (47% DV), Sat. Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 500mg (22% DV), Total Carb. 67g (24% DV), Fiber 16g (57% DV), Total Sugars 6g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 33g
Contains: Tree Nuts (cashew), Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Start the tempeh
- Crumble the tempeh into ¼-inch pieces.
In a large frying pan, combine the tempeh and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the tempeh, transfer to a plate, and pat dry with a paper towel. Wipe the pan dry. While the tempeh is cooking, prepare the salsa.
Make the cucumber-grape salsa
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber into ¼-inch pieces.
- Remove any stems from the grapes; cut the grapes into quarters.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Set aside all except ¼ cup [½ cup] onion for finishing the tempeh.
- Juice the lime.
In a medium bowl, stir together the cucumber, grapes, ¼ cup [½ cup] onion, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lime juice. Season generously to taste with salt and pepper and more lime juice, if desired. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Cook the onion; crisp the tempeh
In the same pan used to soften the tempeh, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir in the remaining onion and cook until starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the tempeh, season generously with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the smoky chili spice blend and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and the tempeh is crisp and well browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. While the tempeh is cooking, prepare the chipotle-cashew sauce.
Finish the chipotle-cashew sauce
In a small bowl, stir together the chipotle-cashew sauce base and 1 to 2 tablespoons very hot water. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
On a large plate or 2 individual plates, spread the tortilla chips in a single layer. Top with the tempeh and as many pickled jalapeños as you like. Spoon the chipotle-cashew sauce and cucumber-grape salsa over the nachos and serve.
- Crumble the tempeh.
- Measure the water for the tempeh.
- Remove any stems from the grapes.
- Measure the onion.
- Spoon the salsa over the nachos.