In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Smoky tempeh nachos with cucumber-grape salsa and chipotle cashew sauce
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegan, Diabetes-Friendly, Spicy, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 690 Calories/Serving
Piled high with crisp tortilla chips, pickled jalapeños, chunky salsa, and “cheesy” chipotle cashew sauce, these smoky tempeh nachos will rock your world.
In your bag
- ½ pound organic flax tempeh
- 1 organic cucumber
- 3 ounces organic red or other grapes
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Sunbasket smoky chili spice blend (chili powder - coriander - cumin - sweet smoked paprika - granulated garlic)
- Sunbasket chipotle cashew sauce base (water - cashews - chipotle chiles in gluten-free adobo - nutritional yeast - kosher salt - garlic - cumin - chili powder)
- Tortilla chips
- 3 tablespoons pickled jalapeños (optional)
Calories 690, Total Fat 36g (46% DV), Sat. Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 510mg (22% DV), Total Carb. 68g (25% DV), Fiber 17g (61% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 28g
Contains: Tree Nuts (cashew), Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Start the tempeh
- Crumble the tempeh into ¼-inch pieces.
In a large frying pan, combine the tempeh and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the tempeh, transfer to a plate, and pat dry with a paper towel. Wipe the pan dry. While the tempeh is cooking, prepare the salsa.
Make the cucumber-grape salsa
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber into ¼-inch pieces.
- Remove any stems from the grapes; cut the grapes into quarters.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Set aside all except ¼ cup [½ cup] onion for finishing the tempeh.
In a medium bowl, stir together the cucumber, grapes, lime juice, and ¼ cup [½ cup] onion. Season generously with salt and pepper. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Cook the onion; crisp the tempeh
In the same pan used to soften the tempeh, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir in the remaining onion and cook until starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the tempeh, season generously with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the smoky chili spice blend and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tempeh is crisp and well browned, 2 to 3 minutes. While the tempeh is cooking, prepare the chipotle cashew sauce.
Finish the chipotle cashew sauce
In a small bowl, stir together the chipotle cashew sauce base and 1 to 2 tablespoons very hot water. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
On a large plate or 2 individual plates, spread the tortilla chips in a single layer. Top with the tempeh and as many pickled jalapeños as you like. Spoon the chipotle cashew sauce and cucumber-grape salsa over the nachos and serve.
- Crumble the tempeh.
- Measure the water for the tempeh.
- Remove any stems from the grapes.
- Measure the onion.
- Spoon the salsa over the nachos.