SoCal fish tacos with avocado, cabbage slaw, and lime yogurt
20 – 30 Minutes
Surfer-approved, these fish tacos require just one pan, and include an array of good-for-you garnishes.
- 3 scallions
- 3 ounces shredded green cabbage
- 2 ounces shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 limes
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 sole fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- ¼ cup gluten-free cornstarch
- 8 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- 1 avocado
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
Turn your remaining tortillas into chips: Heat the oven to 350°F. Cut the tortillas into wedges. On a sheet pan, drizzle the wedges with 1 to 2 teaspoons neutral oil, season generously with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Bake until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
Make the cabbage slaw
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
Make the lime yogurt
- Zest and juice 1 lime, keeping the zest and juice separate. Cut the remaining lime into wedges for garnish.
- If using, divide the cayenne into two equal portions; set aside half for the sole.
Prep and cook the sole
- Pat the sole dry with a paper towel; cut the fillets crosswise into 2-inch-wide strips and season lightly with salt.
- In a shallow bowl or plate, spread the cornstarch in an even layer; season generously with salt and pepper and with as much of the remaining cayenne as you like.
- Dredge the sole in the cornstarch, turning to coat; shake off any excess.
While the sole cooks, heat the tortillas.
Warm the tortillas
- Remove 6 tortillas from the package; save the rest for another use.
Prep the remaining garnishes
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 29g (58% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 41g (63% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 26g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 65mg (22% DV), Sodium: 480mg (20% DV) (does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV), Carbohydrates: 68g (23% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Fish, milk.