EXPLORE:

20 Minute Meal

Sole arrabbiata with squash, cherry tomato, and basil salad

Paleo, Gluten Free, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free

2 Servings, 520 Calories/Serving

20 Minutes

This paleo and gluten-free spin on a coastal Italian classic takes only about 20 minutes to make but yields heady, complex flavors.

Ingredients

  • 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
  • 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
  • 2 sole fillets (about 5 ounces each)
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
  • 1 cup diced tomatoes
  • Arrabbiata herb blend (dried thyme - dried oregano)
  • 1 summer squash
  • 3 ounces cherry tomatoes
  • 3 or 4 sprigs fresh basil
  • 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley

Chef's Tip

When seasoning a dish with red chile flakes or another spicy ingredient, add a pinch at a time and taste as you go to control the heat level.

Make It Leaner

Use only 1 tablespoon oil to make the arrabbiata sauce in Step 2 and you’ll slash 60 calories and 7 grams of fat per serving. To save an equal amount of calories and fat per serving, skip the drizzle of oil over the cooked sole.

Instructions

1

Prep the arrabbiata sauce ingredients and sole

  • Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
  • Measure out 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar for the sauce; set aside the remaining vinegar for the salad.
  • Pat the sole dry with a paper towel; cut the fillets crosswise into 2-inch-wide strips and season lightly with salt and pepper.

2

Cook the arrabbiata sauce and sole

In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the garlic, tomato paste, and as many chile flakes as you like and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is fragrant and the tomato paste starts to caramelize, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, arrabbiata herb blend, 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, and ¼ cup red wine or water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, add the sole, and cook without stirring until it is opaque and flaky, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat, drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the arrabbiata sauce and sole cook, prepare the salad and the parsley.

3

Make the squash, cherry tomato, and basil salad

  • Trim the ends from the squash; using a peeler, cut the squash lengthwise into thin ribbons.
  • Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
  • Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves, if desired.
In a medium bowl, combine the squash ribbons, tomatoes, basil leaves, remaining sherry vinegar, and 2 tablespoons oil and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

4

Prep the parsley

  • Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.

5

Serve

Transfer the sole and arrabbiata sauce to individual plates and garnish with the parsley. Serve the squash, cherry tomato, and basil salad on the side.

Nutrition per serving: Protein: 22g (44% DV), Fiber: 4g (16% DV), Total Fat: 39g (60% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 29g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 65mg (22% DV), Sodium: 790mg (33% DV), Carbohydrates: 19g (6% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: fish.

Similar Recipes

Beef Bolognese with polenta and romaine salad
Gluten Free, Soy-Free
Baked shrimp with tomato, feta, and lemon-mint orzo
Gluten Free, Soy-Free
Baked shrimp with tomato, feta, and lemon-mint orzo
Soy-Free