In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Sole with caramelized onions, potatoes, and sun-dried tomato za’atar
Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Diabetes-Friendly, Gluten-Free, Paleo, Soy-Free, Carb-Conscious
2 Servings, 410 Calories/Serving
Tomatoes and za’atar? It’s a match made in heaven. We pair this Middle Eastern spice blend with tangy sun-dried tomatoes and fresh parsley, creating the ultimate topping for pan-fried fish.
In your bag
- 1 ounce sun-dried tomato strips (not in oil)
- 1 organic red onion
- ½ pound organic gold or red new potatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Fish options:
- 2 wild skinless sole fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 wild Alaskan skinless halibut fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 wild skin-on snapper fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 sustainably raised Faroe Islands skinless salmon fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sunbasket za’atar (sumac - sesame seeds - fennel seeds - dried thyme)
Calories: 410, Protein: 21g (42% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 21g (32% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 55mg (18% DV), Sodium: 400mg (17% DV), Carbohydrates: 36g (12% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Soak the sun-dried tomatoes; cook the onion and potatoes
- Finely chop the sun-dried tomatoes. In a small bowl, soak the sun-dried tomatoes in very hot tap water until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain, pat dry, and return to the bowl.
- Peel the onion and cut in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Scrub or peel the potatoes; cut the potatoes crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 4 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and red wine vinegar, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender and the onion is caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, prepare the fish.
Prep and cook the fish
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel; season the sole lightly with salt and pepper, the halibut, snapper, or salmon generously.
In another large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking.
For sole: Add the fish and cook until lightly browned on the bottom side, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 1 to 2 minutes.
For halibut: Add the fish and cook until lightly browned on the bottom side, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 2 to 4 minutes.
For snapper: Add the fish, skin side down, and cook until the skin is crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 2 to 4 minutes.
For salmon: Add the fish and cook until lightly browned on the bottom side, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 2 to 4 minutes.
Transfer to a plate. While the fish is cooking, finish the sun-dried tomato za’atar.
Assemble the sun-dried tomato za’atar
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] parsley for garnish.
To the bowl with the sun-dried tomatoes, stir in the za'atar, 2 to 3 teaspoons oil, and all except 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the onion and potatoes to individual plates and top with the fish. Spoon over the sun-dried tomato za'atar, garnish with the remaining parsley, and serve.
- Scrub the potatoes.
- Time the fish.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Stir the sun-dried tomato za’atar.
- Spoon over the sun-dried tomato za’atar.