In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Southwestern black bean and tempeh chili
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Vegan, Diabetes-Friendly, Family-Friendly
2 Servings, 530 Calories/Serving
Our signature chili base brings big Southwestern flavor to our vegan chili, with tempeh, bell pepper, and hearty black beans standing in for meat to create a warming dinner that can easily be made ahead of time.
In your bag
- ½ pound organic flax tempeh
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 organic green or other bell pepper
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- Sun Basket chili base (fire-roasted tomatoes - tomato paste - chili powder - coriander - cumin - sweet paprika - granulated garlic)
- 1 organic Roma or other tomato
- 1 organic Piel de Sapo melon or other melon
- 1 teaspoon sumac
Calories: 530, Protein: 30g (60% DV), Fiber: 20g (80% DV), Total Fat: 18g (28% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 8g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g (13% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 120mg (5% DV), Carbohydrates: 62g (21% DV), Total Sugars: 28g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Start the tempeh
- Crumble or cut the tempeh into ¼-inch pieces.
While the tempeh cooks, start preparing the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure ½ cup [1 cup] for the chili; finely chop as much of the remaining onion as you like for garnish.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; coarsely chop the pepper.
- Rinse the black beans.
Cook the chili
While the chili cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Cut away the core from the tomato; coarsely chop the tomato.
- Cut the melon in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Cut the halves lengthwise into 2-inch-wide wedges. Season to taste with salt and pepper and as much sumac as you like.
- Crumble the tempeh.
- Measure the water for the tempeh and chili.
- Measure the onion.
- Rinse the beans.
- Garnish the chili.