In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Southwestern pork burgers with chipotle mayo and jicama fries
Family-Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 780 Calories/Serving
A fun and tropical take on burgers and fries, these pork patties are blended with mango and served with jicama instead of potato fries.
In your bag
- 1 organic jicama (about 1 pound)
- 1 organic lime
- Sun Basket Tex-Mex seasoning blend (chili powder - onion powder - granulated garlic - sweet smoked paprika - dried Mexican oregano)
- 10 ounces ground pork
- 1 organic unripe mango
- 3 organic scallions
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 2 whole wheat buns
- Sun Basket chipotle mayo (paleo mayo - chipotle chile powder - sweet smoked paprika)
Calories: 780, Protein: 46g (92% DV), Fiber: 22g (88% DV), Total Fat: 31g (48% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 11g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 95mg (32% DV), Sodium: 800mg (33% DV), Carbohydrates: 81g (27% DV), Total Sugars: 16g, Added Sugars: (buns contain organic molasses, organic brown sugar, and organic barley malt): 3g (6% DV).
Contains: Eggs, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the jicama fries
- Using a sharp knife or a peeler, remove the peel from the jicama; cut the white flesh into ½-inch-thick slices, then cut the slices lengthwise into ½-inch-thick sticks.
- Juice half the lime; cut half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lime; cut 1 lime into wedges.]
- Measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] Tex-Mex seasoning blend. Save the remaining seasoning blend for the burgers.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the jicama and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and just tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the jicama fries to a sheet pan. Add more oil between batches if needed. Keep the fries warm in the oven while you prepare the rest of the meal. Do not clean the pan.
While the jicama fries cook, start preparing the patties.
Make the patties
- Cut a small corner from the ground pork packages and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Trim the ends from the mango; cut away the peel, then cut the flesh away from the pit into halves. Finely chop half the mango. Cut the remaining half crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices and set aside for serving.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
Cook the patties
While the patties cook, prepare the cilantro.
Prep the cilantro; toast the buns
- Set aside two-thirds of the whole cilantro sprigs for topping the burgers. Coarsely chop the remaining cilantro for garnish.
Assemble the burgers
- Juice the lime.
- Measure the seasoning blend.
- Season the jicama.
- Separate the cilantro sprigs.
- Garnish with the chopped cilantro.