In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Southwestern pork burgers with mango, chipotle mayo, and jicama fries
Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Spicy, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 690 Calories/Serving
We season these Southwestern burgers with chili powder, sweet smoked paprika, and sweet bits of mango, then slather on spicy chipotle mayo for a whole lotta yeehaw.
In your bag
- 1 organic jicama (about ½ pound)
- 1 organic lime
- Sunbasket Tex-Mex seasoning blend (chili powder - onion powder - granulated garlic - sweet smoked paprika - dried Mexican oregano)
- 1 organic mango
- 3 organic scallions
- Your choice of protein
- 2 whole wheat buns
- Sunbasket chipotle mayo (paleo mayo - chipotle chile powder - sweet smoked paprika)
Calories 690, Total Fat 39g (50% DV), Sat. Fat 10g (50% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 75mg (25% DV), Sodium 600mg (26% DV), Total Carb. 64g (23% DV), Fiber 14g (50% DV), Total Sugars 20g (Incl. 3g Added Sugars, 6% DV), Protein 25g
Contains: Eggs, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the jicama fries
Heat the oven to 200°F.
- Using a sharp knife or a peeler, remove the peel from the jicama; cut the white flesh into ½-inch-thick slices, then cut the slices lengthwise into ½-inch-thick sticks.
- Juice half the lime; cut the remaining half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lime; cut the remaining lime into wedges.]
- Set aside all except 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] Tex-Mex seasoning blend for the burgers.
In a large bowl, combine the jicama, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lime juice, and 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] Tex-Mex seasoning blend; season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the jicama and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and just tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the jicama fries to a sheet pan. Add more oil between batches if needed. Keep the fries warm in the oven while you prepare the rest of the meal. Do not clean the pan. While the jicama fries are cooking, start preparing the patties.
Make the patties
- Trim the ends from the mango; cut away the peel, then cut the flesh away from the pit into halves. Finely chop half the mango. Cut the remaining half crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices and set aside for serving.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the green parts for topping the burgers and garnish.
- Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a medium bowl, combine the ground meat, chopped mango, white parts of the scallions, and remaining Tex-Mex seasoning blend. Season generously with salt and pepper and mix gently until just combined. Using wet hands, form the mixture into two [four] ½-inch-thick patties.
Cook the patties
In the same pan used for the jicama, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the patties.
Pork, beef, lamb, or plant-based Impossible Burger: Cook, turning once, until browned and cooked to the desired doneness, 2 to 4 minutes per side.
Chicken or turkey: Cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan.
Toast the buns; assemble the burgers
In the same pan used for the patties, place the buns, cut sides down, and cook over medium-high heat until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Alternatively, toast them in a toaster oven.
Place the bun bottoms, cut sides up, on a work surface and top each with a burger. Slather with chipotle mayo and sprinkle with half the green parts of the scallions. Close with the bun tops.
Transfer the burgers to individual plates and arrange the jicama fries and mango slices alongside. Garnish with the remaining green parts of the scallions and serve with the lime wedges.
- Juice the lime.
- Measure the seasoning blend.
- Toss the jicama with lime juice and seasonings.
- Time the cooking.
- Garnish with the scallions.