In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Soweto chicken chakalaka with West African jollof rice
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 590 Calories/Serving
Chakalaka is as fun to make as it is to say. This gluten-free South African stew stars turmeric- and ginger-infused chicken thighs over fluffy rice.
In your bag
- ½ cup long-grain white rice
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 1 white onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- ½ cup cooked white beans
- 2 ounces shredded carrots
- ¼ pound shredded green cabbage
- Chakalaka spice blend (brown sugar - turmeric - ground ginger - coriander - ground mustard - allspice - cayenne)
Nutrition per serving
Calories 590, Total Fat 16g (21% DV), Sat. Fat 2.5g (13% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 115mg (38% DV), Sodium 690mg (30% DV), Total Carb. 76g (28% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 20g (Incl. 6g Added Sugars, 12% DV), Protein 38g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
- Set a fine-mesh strainer over a transparent measuring cup; strain the tomatoes, capturing the juices. Add enough water to the juices to measure 1 cup and season lightly with salt. Set aside the tomatoes for the sauce.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
While the rice cooks, prepare the chicken, vegetables, and sauce.
Sear the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
While the chicken cooks, start preparing the vegetables.
Cook the vegetables and sauce; finish the chicken
- Peel and thinly slice the white onion.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; thinly slice the pepper.
- Rinse the white beans.
Add the tomatoes, beans, and chicken and any accumulated juices. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender and the chicken is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.