In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spaghetti “Alfredo” with shaved asparagus and charred tomatoes
Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegan, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 590 Calories/Serving
Almond milk and cashew butter team up with garlic and nutritional yeast as a stand-in for traditional cheese sauce, coating each spaghetti strand with creamy vegan decadence.
In your bag
- 5 ounces spaghetti
- ¼ pound organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 10 ounces organic asparagus
- 1 organic lemon
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
- Sunbasket vegan “cheese” sauce (almond milk - cashew butter - granulated garlic - nutritional yeast - onion powder)
Calories 590, Total Fat 24g (31% DV), Sat. Fat 4g (20% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 35mg (2% DV), Total Carb. 75g (27% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 9g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 19g
Contains: Tree Nuts, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Cook the spaghetti
While the water heats and the spaghetti cooks, prepare the tomatoes.
Prep and char the tomatoes
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
While the tomatoes cook, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Snap off the woody ends from the asparagus. Using a peeler and starting at the base and working toward the tip, thinly shave the asparagus stalks into ribbons. Alternatively, cut the asparagus stalks on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate. [Zest and juice 1 lemon; save the remaining lemon.]
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Divide into two equal portions, one for the pasta and one for garnish.
Cook the asparagus; finish the dish
Reduce the heat to low and stir in the vegan “cheese” sauce, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lemon juice, 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] white wine, if using, and ½ cup [1 cup] reserved pasta cooking water, adding more water as needed to reach a creamy consistency. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the ingredients are warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the spaghetti and tomatoes and cook until warmed through, about 1 minute.
Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon zest and half the basil, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Measure the shallots.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Snap the woody ends off the asparagus.
- Juice the lemon.
- Strip the basil leaves.