Spaghetti “Alfredo” with shaved asparagus and charred tomatoes

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Spaghetti “Alfredo” with shaved asparagus and charred tomatoes

Signature Sauce

Spaghetti “Alfredo” with shaved asparagus and charred tomatoes

Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegan, <600 Calories

2 Servings, 590 Calories/Serving

30–45 Minutes

Almond milk and cashew butter team up with garlic and nutritional yeast as a stand-in for traditional cheese sauce, coating each spaghetti strand with creamy vegan decadence.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 5 ounces spaghetti
  • ¼ pound organic grape or cherry tomatoes
  • 1 or 2 organic shallots
  • 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
  • 10 ounces organic asparagus
  • 1 organic lemon
  • 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh basil
  • 1 teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
  • Sunbasket vegan “cheese” sauce (almond milk - cashew butter - granulated garlic - nutritional yeast - onion powder)

Nutrition per serving

Calories 590, Total Fat 24g (31% DV), Sat. Fat 4g (20% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 35mg (2% DV), Total Carb. 75g (27% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 9g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 19g
Contains: Tree Nuts, Wheat

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten.

*Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Cook the spaghetti

Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, reserving the pasta cooking water.
While the water heats and the spaghetti cooks, prepare the tomatoes.


Prep and char the tomatoes

  • Cut the tomatoes in half.
In a large frying pan over high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly charred and softened, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan.
While the tomatoes cook, prepare the remaining ingredients.


Prep the remaining ingredients

  • Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
  • Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
  • Snap off the woody ends from the asparagus. Using a peeler and starting at the base and working toward the tip, thinly shave the asparagus stalks into ribbons. Alternatively, cut the asparagus stalks on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces.
  • Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate. [Zest and juice 1 lemon; save the remaining lemon.]
  • Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Divide into two equal portions, one for the pasta and one for garnish.


Cook the asparagus; finish the dish

In the same pan used for the tomatoes, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Stir in the shallots and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook until starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the asparagus and as much Aleppo chile as you like, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the asparagus is starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low and stir in the vegan “cheese” sauce, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lemon juice, 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] white wine, if using, and ½ cup [1 cup] reserved pasta cooking water, adding more water as needed to reach a creamy consistency. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the ingredients are warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the spaghetti and tomatoes and cook until warmed through, about 1 minute.
Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon zest and half the basil, and season to taste with salt and pepper.


Transfer the spaghetti, vegetables, and sauce to individual plates. Garnish with the remaining basil and any remaining Aleppo chile, if desired, and serve.
Kids Can!
  • Measure the shallots.
  • Press the garlic (if you have a press).
  • Snap the woody ends off the asparagus.
  • Juice the lemon.
  • Strip the basil leaves.