In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spaghetti and meatballs with mushroom marinara and Italian salad
Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 780 Calories/Serving
When we say spaghetti, you say . . . meatballs, of course! Enjoy this classic match made in heaven finished with mushroom marinara and paired with a crisp Italian salad.
In your bag
- 7 ounces fresh whole wheat spaghetti (contains eggs)
- ¼ cup panko
- 1 organic red onion
- 10 ounces ground beef
- 3 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- Sunbasket marinara (tomatoes - olive oil - garlic - basil - salt - spices)
- Sunbasket Italian dressing base (champagne vinegar - water - honey - Parmesan - parsley - garlic - red chile flakes - dried oregano)
- 3 ounces organic mixed greens or other leafy greens
Calories 780, Total Fat 36g (46% DV), Sat. Fat 9g (45% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 170mg (57% DV), Sodium 800mg (35% DV), Total Carb. 82g (30% DV), Fiber 12g (43% DV), Total Sugars 13g (Incl. 2g Added Sugars, 4% DV), Protein 39g
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Cook the spaghetti
Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil. Separate the spaghetti so the noodles don’t clump together during cooking. Add the spaghetti and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain the spaghetti, reserving 1 cup [2 cups] pasta cooking water.
While the water heats and the spaghetti cooks, prepare the meatballs.
Prep the meatballs
- In a large bowl, combine the panko and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] milk (from your pantry) or water.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Set aside all but ¼ cup [½ cup] onion for the sauce.
- Cut a small corner from the ground beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
To the bowl with the panko, add the ground beef and ¼ cup [½ cup] onion; season generously with salt and pepper and mix until just combined. Using wet hands, form the mixture into 1-inch meatballs.
Brown the meatballs
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the meatballs and cook, turning once, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan.
While the meatballs brown, prepare the mushrooms.
Prep the mushrooms; finish the meatballs and sauce
- Coarsely chop the mushrooms.
In the same pot used for the meatballs, if dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the mushrooms and remaining onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the meatballs, marinara, and reserved pasta cooking water and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meatballs are cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in the spaghetti, toss to coat, and cook until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
When the meatballs and sauce are almost done, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
In a large bowl, stir together the Italian dressing base and 2 to 3 teaspoons oil. Add the mixed greens and toss to coat; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Salt the water for the spaghetti.
- Time the spaghetti.
- Combine the panko and milk.
- Measure the onion.
- Make the dressing; assemble the salad.