Spaghetti and meatballs with romaine salad
35 – 45 Minutes
This easy, updated take on a comfort-food favorite is a collaboration between Sun Basket and Food Network Chef Tyler Florence.
In your bag
- 7 ounces spaghetti
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 10 ounces ground beef
- 5 ounces ground pork
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- ⅓ cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- Meatball spice blend (granulated garlic - onion powder - dried oregano)
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 cup mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- Sun Basket marinara (tomatoes - olive oil - tomato paste - balsamic vinegar - fresh garlic - salt - black pepper)
- 1 romaine heart
- 1 carrot
- Sun Basket house dressing (olive oil - balsamic vinegar - Dijon mustard - fresh garlic)
- Fresh basil
Before shaping and cooking the meatballs, you can test the seasoning by cooking a tablespoon or so of the meat mixture in a small frying pan over medium-high heat on the stove top, then season the mixture with more salt and pepper, if needed.
Cook the spaghetti
While the water heats and the spaghetti cooks, prepare the meatballs and sauce.
Make the meatballs
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems.
- Finely chop the parsley leaves.
- Cut a small corner from the ground beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Repeat with the ground pork.
Cook the meatballs and sauce
In the same pot, add the mirepoix, season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the marinara and meatballs and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meatballs are cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the meatballs and sauce cook, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim off the root end from the romaine.
- Coarsely tear the romaine leaves.
- Scrub or peel the carrot and trim off the top. Using a peeler, peel the carrot into ribbons.
Prep the basil; finish the spaghetti
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Tear the romaine.
- Dress the salad.
- Prepare the basil.
- Sprinkle on the Parmesan and basil.
Protein: 44g (88% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 30g (46% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 17g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 205mg (68% DV), Sodium: 540mg (23% DV), Carbohydrates: 57g (19% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat