Spaghetti and meatballs with romaine salad
35 - 45 Minutes
You and your kids will love our updated take on this Italian-American comfort food, a collaboration between Sun Basket and Food Network Chef Tyler Florence. Our house dressing on the side salad is a family favorite of Chef Justine’s, invented by her father.
- 7 ounces spaghetti
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 10 ounces ground beef
- 5 ounces ground pork
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- 1/3 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- Meatball spice blend (granulated garlic - onion powder - dried oregano)
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 cup mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- Sun Basket marinara (tomatoes - olive oil - tomato paste - balsamic vinegar - fresh garlic - salt - black pepper)
- 1 romaine heart
- 1 carrot
- Sun Basket house dressing (olive oil - balsamic vinegar - Dijon mustard - fresh garlic)
- Fresh basil
Cook the spaghetti
While the water heats and the spaghetti cooks, prepare the meatballs and sauce.
Make the meatballs
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems.
- Finely chop the parsley leaves.
- Cut off a small corner of the ground beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate and pat dry with a paper towel. Repeat with the ground pork.
Cook the meatballs and sauce
In the same pot, add the mirepoix, season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the marinara and meatballs and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meatballs are cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the meatballs and sauce cook, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim off the root end from the romaine.
- Coarsely tear the romaine leaves.
- Scrub or peel the carrot and trim off the top. Using a peeler, peel the carrot into ribbons.
Prep the basil; finish the spaghetti
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves.
Chef’s Tip Before cooking the meatballs, you can first test the seasoning of the meat mixture by cooking a tablespoon or so in a small frying pan over medium-high heat on the stove top.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Tear the romaine.
- Dress the salad.
- Prepare the basil.
- Sprinkle on the Parmesan and basil.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 720, Protein: 46 g, Total Fat: 31 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 17 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Cholesterol: 210 mg, Carbohydrates: 60 g, Fiber: 3 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 640 mg
Contains: milk, wheat, eggs