In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spanish pisto con huevos with tomatoes, eggplant, and garlic bread
Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegetarian
2 Servings, 770 Calories/Serving
We think of this vegetarian dish as ratatouille crossed with shakshuka, with the huevos, or eggs, baked right in the tender sautéed vegetables.
In your bag
- 1 organic delicata squash (about ¾ pound)
- 1 organic globe eggplant
- Sun Basket sofrito (cilantro - roasted red peppers - tomatoes - onion - garlic - parsley - dried Mexican oregano)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 1 ciabatta roll
- 4 organic eggs
- Sun Basket basil pesto (extra virgin olive oil - walnuts - basil - garlic - kosher salt - black pepper)
Calories: 770, Protein: 23g (46% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 43g (66% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 25g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 6g (30% DV), Cholesterol: 310mg (103% DV), Sodium: 740mg (31% DV), Carbohydrates: 71g (24% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Eggs, Tree Nuts (walnut), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the vegetables
Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Trim the ends from the delicata squash. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon, then cut the squash into ½-inch pieces.
- Remove the stem from the eggplant; cut the eggplant into ½-inch pieces.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil until hot but not smoking. Stir in the sofrito and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the squash, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and ½ cup [¾ cup] water, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. While the vegetables are cooking, prepare the garlic bread.
Toast the garlic bread
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Cut the ciabatta roll in half horizontally, then cut the halves in half on the diagonal.
In a small bowl, stir together the garlic and 1 to 3 tablespoons butter or oil (from your pantry). Season with salt and pepper. On a sheet pan, place the ciabatta, cut sides up, and brush with the garlic mixture. Toast in the oven until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the eggs.
Cook the eggs
With the back of a spoon, form 4  wells in the vegetable mixture and crack an egg into each well. Cover and cook over medium heat until the whites have set and the yolks are runny, 2 to 3 minutes. If you prefer firmer yolks, cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and season lightly with salt and pepper.
Transfer the pisto con huevos to individual bowls and dollop with the basil pesto. Serve with the garlic bread.
- Scoop out the squash seeds.
- Measure the water for the vegetables.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Brush the ciabatta with the garlic mixture.
- Dollop the pesto.