Spanish shrimp soup with potatoes, peas, and paprika

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

New

Spanish shrimp soup with potatoes, peas, and paprika

Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Pescatarian, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus

2 Servings, 380 Calories/Serving

35–50 Minutes

Chef Kate was thinking about paella but craving soup. What happened next? This smoky, savory Spanish soup topped with the subtle sweetness of pan-seared seafood.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 1 organic yellow onion
  • ¼ pound organic gold or red new potatoes
  • 1 organic orange or other bell pepper
  • 1 organic celery rib
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Sunbasket Spanish soup base (tomatoes - tomato paste - granulated garlic - sweet smoked paprika - anchovy paste - turmeric)
  • Seafood options:
  • 10 ounces wild Gulf shrimp
  • 10 ounces wild tail-on jumbo shrimp
  • 10 ounces wild sea scallops
  • 2 wild Alaskan halibut fillets (about 6 ounces each)
  • 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
  • ½ cup organic peas

Nutrition per serving

Calories 380, Total Fat 15g (19% DV), Sat. Fat 2g (10% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 200mg (67% DV), Sodium 420mg (18% DV), Total Carb. 39g (14% DV), Fiber 9g (32% DV), Total Sugars 13g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 27g
Contains: Fish (anchovy)

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.

Instructions

2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use

1

Prep the vegetables

  • Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
  • Scrub the potatoes and cut into quarters.
  • Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper. Coarsely chop the pepper.
  • Cut the celery into ¼-inch-thick slices.

2

Start the soup

In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. 

Add the bay leaf, Spanish soup base, and 1 cup [2 cups] water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, 15 to 18 minutes. When the soup is almost done, prepare the seafood.

3

Prep and cook the seafood

For shrimp and jumbo shrimp: 

  • Rinse and drain the shrimp. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper and the paprika. 

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the shrimp and cook, turning once, until firm and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side for regular shrimp, 2 to 3 minutes per side for jumbo shrimp. Transfer to a plate. 

 

For scallops:

  • Rinse and drain the scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper, and the paprika.

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the scallops and cook without turning until golden brown on one side and starting to turn opaque, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn and continue cooking for about 30 seconds for translucent or 1 to 2 minutes for opaque. Transfer to a plate. 

 

For halibut: 

  • Pat the fish dry with a paper towel; season lightly with salt and pepper and the paprika. 

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the fish and cook until lightly browned on the bottom side, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. 

4

Finish the soup

To the pot with the soup, stir in the peas and cook over medium-high heat until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve

Transfer the soup to individual bowls, top with the seafood, and serve.

Kids Can!
  • Scrub the potatoes.
  • Measure the water for the soup.
  • Time the cooking.