In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spanish sole fritters with tomato-cucumber salad
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Pescatarian, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 420 Calories/Serving
Inspired by Spanish salt cod fritters, these yummy pan-fried bites are crispy on the outside, soft in the center, and gluten-free.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 3 organic scallions
- Seafood options:
- 2 wild skinless sole fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 wild Alaskan skinless halibut fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 sustainably raised skin-on barramundi fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 10 ounces wild sea scallops
- Sunbasket chickpea batter blend (chickpea flour - baking powder - sweet paprika)
- Sunbasket Spanish seasoning blend (onion powder - granulated garlic - coriander - cumin - sweet smoked paprika - dried oregano)
- 1 organic Roma or other tomato
- 1 organic cucumber
- ½ ounce pitted oil-cured black olives
- 1 organic lemon
Calories 420, Total Fat 23g (29% DV), Sat. Fat 3.5g (18% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 55mg (18% DV), Sodium 580mg (25% DV), Total Carb. 38g (14% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 8g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 24g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Marinate the onion
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure ½ cup [1 cup].
In a medium bowl, combine the onion and sherry vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Make the fritter batter
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
- Pat the seafood dry with a paper towel (discarding the barramundi skin); if using scallops, rinse and drain, then pat dry. Cut the seafood into ¼-inch pieces and season with salt and pepper.
In a medium bowl, stir together the chickpea batter blend and Spanish seasoning blend; season generously with salt and pepper. Add 3 tablespoons [6 TBL] water and stir until incorporated. Gently stir in the scallions and seafood, adding more water 1 teaspoon at a time as needed until a thick batter forms.
Cook the fritters
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 to 3 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches, spoon in enough batter to form 3-inch fritters and cook, turning once, until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate and season with salt and pepper. Add more oil between batches if needed. While the fritters are cooking, prepare the tomato-cucumber salad.
Make the salad; prep the garnish
- Cut away the core from the tomato; coarsely chop the tomato.
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then crosswise into enough thin half-moons to measure 1½ cups [3 cups].
- Coarsely chop the olives, checking for any pits.
- Cut the lemon into wedges for garnish. [Cut 1 lemon into wedges; save the remaining lemon for another use.]
To the bowl with the onion, stir in the tomato, cucumber, olives, and 1 to 2 teaspoons oil; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the fritters and tomato-cucumber salad to individual plates. Serve with the lemon wedges.
- Measure the onion; combine with the vinegar.
- Stir the chickpea batter and seasoning blends with water.
- Line a plate with paper towels.
- Measure the cucumber.
- Assemble the salad.