In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spanish-spiced steaks with farro–red pepper salad and queso fresco
Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 550 Calories/Serving
Our smoky spice blend puts a bold Spanish spin on this steak dinner, served with a toothy farro salad, tender zucchini, and a sprinkle of cool queso fresco.
In your bag
- ½ cup farro
- Steak options:
- 2 top sirloin steaks (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 organic rib-eyes (about 7 ounces each)
- 2 organic New York strips (about 7 ounces each)
- 2 organic filet mignons (about 5 ounces each)
- Sunbasket Spanish spice blend (ancho chile powder - sweet paprika - granulated garlic - cumin)
- 1 organic zucchini or yellow squash
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers
- 1 organic lime
- 1 ounce queso fresco
- Sunbasket sofrito (cilantro - roasted red peppers - tomatoes - onion - garlic - parsley - dried Mexican oregano)
Calories 550, Total Fat 27g (35% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 95mg (32% DV), Sodium 290mg (13% DV), Total Carb. 34g (12% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 5g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 43g
Contains: Milk, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the farro
In a medium sauce pot, combine the farro and 1½ cups [3 cups] lightly salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the grains are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain, transfer to a large bowl, and set aside. Meanwhile, prepare the steaks.
Prep and cook the steaks
- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper and the Spanish spice blend.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the steaks.
For top sirloins:
Cook, turning frequently, until well browned, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare.
For rib-eyes and New York strips:
Cook, turning once, until well browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.
For filet mignons:
Cook, turning frequently, until well browned, 8 to 12 minutes for medium-rare.
Transfer the cooked steaks to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes. Cut the steaks into ½-inch-thick slices. Do not clean the pan. While the steaks are cooking and resting, prepare the zucchini.
Prep and cook the zucchini
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
In the same pan used for the steaks, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, arrange the zucchini in a single layer, season with salt and pepper, and cook, turning once, until lightly browned and starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add more oil between batches if needed. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; assemble the farro salad
- Coarsely chop the roasted red peppers, reserving any juice.
- Zest and juice the lime. [Zest and juice 1 lime; save the remaining lime for another use.]
- Crumble the queso fresco. Set aside for garnish.
To the bowl with the farro, add the zucchini, roasted red peppers and any juice, lime zest and juice, sofrito, and 1 to 2 tablespoons oil and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the farro–red pepper salad to individual bowls and top with the steaks. Garnish with the queso fresco and serve.
- Fill a sauce pot with water for the farro.
- Time the steaks.
- Juice the lime.
- Assemble the farro salad.
- Garnish with the queso fresco.