In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spanish steak salad with kiwi, mint, and Marcona almonds
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 460 Calories/Serving
You might be thinking, kiwi in a salad? That’s right, this bright superfood brings a sweet balance of flavor, while crisp romaine, earthy kale, and buttery Marcona almonds add a parade of texture.
In your bag
- 10 ounces top sirloin beef strips
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket Spanish seasoning blend (onion powder - granulated garlic - coriander - cumin - sweet smoked paprika - dried oregano)
- 1 organic kiwi
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh mint
- 1 organic romaine heart
- 3 tablespoons Marcona almonds
- Sunbasket honey-lime vinaigrette base (lime juice - onion - honey - Aleppo chile flakes)
- 3 ounces organic shredded kale or other leafy greens
Calories 460, Total Fat 30g (38% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 70mg (23% DV), Sodium 150mg (7% DV), Total Carb. 23g (8% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 4g Added Sugars, 8% DV), Protein 32g
Contains: Tree Nuts (almond)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep your protein
- Steak, chicken, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season lightly with salt and pepper and the Spanish seasoning blend.
- Shrimp or scallops: Rinse and drain the shrimp or scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper and the Spanish seasoning blend.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper and the Spanish seasoning blend.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper and the Spanish seasoning blend.
Cook your protein
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes for regular shrimp; 4 to 6 minutes for jumbo shrimp, scallops, steak, pork, tofu, or plant-based chicken; and 6 to 8 minutes for chicken. Transfer to a plate. Meanwhile, start preparing the salad.
Make the salad
- Peel the kiwi; cut the kiwi in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons. Set aside for serving.
- Strip half the mint leaves from the stems; save the rest for another use. Coarsely tear some leaves and leave some whole. Set aside for serving.
- Trim the root end from the romaine; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Coarsely chop the almonds.
In a small bowl, stir together the honey-lime vinaigrette base and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil.
In a large bowl, toss together the romaine, kale, almonds, and as much vinaigrette as you like. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the salad to individual bowls and top with your protein and the kiwi. Garnish with the mint and serve any remaining vinaigrette on the side.
- Strip and tear the mint leaves.
- Stir the vinaigrette.
- Assemble the salad.
- Top the salad with the kiwi and mint.