In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spanish steaks with patatas bravas and bell pepper alioli
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 560 Calories/Serving
This small plates–inspired meal pairs seared steaks and crispy roasted potatoes with a delectable bell pepper alioli to create a late-night Barcelona tapas experience. Salud!
In your bag
- ½ pound organic gold or red new potatoes
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 organic orange or other bell pepper
- Sunbasket garlic-herb blend (granulated garlic - dried thyme - dried oregano)
- 3 tablespoons paleo mayo
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Steak options:
- 2 top sirloin steaks (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 organic rib-eyes (about 7 ounces each)
- 2 organic New York strips (about 7 ounces each)
- 2 organic filet mignons (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- ¼ cup crushed tomatoes
Nutrition per serving
Calories 560, Total Fat 33g (42% DV), Sat. Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 90mg (30% DV), Sodium 340mg (15% DV), Total Carb. 36g (13% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 9g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 32g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Start the patatas bravas
Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Scrub the potatoes. Cut the potatoes into 1-inch pieces.
- Peel the onion and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into 1-inch pieces, then finely chop enough pepper to measure ¼ cup [½ cup] and set aside for the alioli.
On a sheet pan [2 sheet pans], drizzle the potatoes, onion, and 1-inch bell pepper pieces with 1 to 2 tablespoons oil; season generously with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Spread in an even layer and roast, stirring once halfway through, until the vegetables are tender, golden brown, and starting to crisp, 20 to 25 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Make the alioli
- Measure ¼ teaspoon [½ tsp] garlic-herb blend for the alioli; set aside the rest for the steaks.
In a small bowl, stir together the paleo mayo, finely chopped bell pepper, ¼ teaspoon [½ tsp] garlic-herb blend, and half the red wine vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper and more vinegar, if desired.
Prep and cook the steaks
- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel; brush on both sides with 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Season generously with salt and pepper and the remaining garlic-herb blend.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook, turning frequently, until well browned and your desired doneness is reached. For medium-rare, that’s 4 to 6 minutes for rib-eyes and New York strips, 6 to 8 minutes for top sirloins, and 8 to 12 minutes for filet mignons.
Transfer the cooked steaks to a plate to rest. Do not clean the pan.
Make the bravas sauce; finish the patatas bravas
In the same pan used for the steaks, if dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Stir in the paprika and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and ¼ cup [½ cup] water, season with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar (from your pantry), if desired, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Remove the roasted vegetables from the oven, pour the bravas sauce over them, and toss to coat; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the patatas bravas and steaks to individual plates. Drizzle the patatas bravas with as much alioli as you like and serve any remaining alioli on the side.
- Scrub the potatoes.
- Measure the bell pepper.
- Drizzle the vegetables with oil and season.
- Stir the alioli.
- Measure the water for the bravas sauce.