In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spanish-style chicken and quinoa with fire-roasted tomatoes
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 480 Calories/Serving
Healthy eating doesn’t have to be hard—and this recipe is proof. Our tasty twist on Spanish rice swaps in quinoa for big boosts of protein, fiber, vitamins, and more.
In your bag
- Sunbasket Spanish seasoning blend (onion powder - granulated garlic - coriander - cumin - sweet smoked paprika - dried oregano)
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- ½ cup rainbow quinoa
- 1 organic lemon
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons pitted Castelvetrano olives
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
Calories 480, Total Fat 14g (18% DV), Sat. Fat 2.5g (13% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 135mg (45% DV), Sodium 400mg (17% DV), Total Carb. 54g (20% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 38g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Prep and brown the chicken
- Set aside half the Spanish seasoning blend for the quinoa.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper and half the Spanish seasoning blend.
In a medium [large] frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side for thighs, 3 to 5 minutes per side for breasts. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan. While the chicken is browning, prepare the quinoa ingredients.
Prep the quinoa ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [1½ cups].
- Rinse the quinoa.
- Juice half the lemon; cut the remaining half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lemon; cut the remaining lemon into wedges.]
Start the quinoa
In the same pan used for the chicken, if dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and quinoa, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften and the quinoa is lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and remaining Spanish seasoning blend and cook until fragrant and the tomato paste starts to caramelize, about 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lemon juice, and either ¼ cup [½ cup] white wine (from your pantry) and 1 cup [2 cups] water or a total of 1¼ cups [2½ cups] water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the quinoa starts to soften and the liquid is almost completely absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the chicken
- Coarsely chop the olives, checking for any pits.
- Remove the stem from the bell pepper; using a spoon, gently scoop out the seeds while keeping the pepper whole. Cut the pepper crosswise into ¼-inch-wide rings.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
To the pan with the quinoa, stir in the olives and arrange the bell pepper rings on top, pressing down lightly, then top with the chicken. Cover and cook until the quinoa is tender and the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken, quinoa, and vegetables to individual plates. Garnish with the parsley and serve with the lemon wedges.
- Measure the onion.
- Rinse the quinoa.
- Juice the lemon.
- Scoop out the bell pepper seeds.
- Strip the parsley leaves.