In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spanish “tortilla” with roasted fennel–citrus salad and Marcona almonds
Vegan, Mediterranean, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Family-Friendly, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 730 Calories/Serving
In Spanish tapas bars, tortillas are potato frittatas (not to be confused with the taco wrappings). In our vegan version, an ingenious chickpea flour binding takes the place of eggs. A bright fennel salad turns it from a small plate into a main course.
In your bag
- 1 organic fennel bulb
- 1 organic red onion
- 5 ounces organic Yukon Gold or other waxy potatoes
- ¾ cup chickpea flour
- 1 organic Cara Cara or other orange
- 1 head organic iceberg or other lettuce
- ¼ cup Marcona almonds
- 1 ounce pitted Kalamata olives
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sun Basket red pepper vinaigrette (roasted red peppers - EVOO - red wine vinegar - Dijon mustard - kosher salt)
To get dinner on the table even faster, in Step 2, while the potatoes and onion soften and before the chickpea batter goes into the pan, start prepping the remaining salad ingredients listed in Step 3.
Calories: 730, Protein: 18g (36% DV), Fiber: 14g (56% DV), Total Fat: 46g (71% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 40g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 580mg (24% DV), Carbohydrates: 66g (22% DV), Total Sugars: 22g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts (almond)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Roast the fennel and onion for the salad
- Cut the fennel lengthwise into quarters and cut away the core; thinly slice the quarters lengthwise.
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure 1½ cups [3 cups]; set aside 1¼ cups [2½ cups] for the tortilla.
While the vegetables roast, start the tortilla.
Prep and cook the tortilla
- Scrub or peel the potatoes; cut the potatoes into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the chickpea flour, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil, and ¾ cup [1½ cups] cold water; season with salt and pepper.
Using a spatula or wooden spoon, scrape the chickpea batter into the pan and stir to coat. Spread the mixture to the edges in an even layer. Cook over medium-high heat until the edges of the tortilla are cooked and the center is almost set, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to the oven and cook until the tortilla is completely set, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and cut the tortilla into wedges.
While the tortilla cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the salad
- Using your hands or a sharp knife, peel the orange; working over the bowl with the roasted fennel and onion, cut along both sides of each segment to release the segments from the membrane into the bowl. Alternatively, cut the fruit in half crosswise and separate each half into segments. Discard any seeds.
- Trim the root end from the lettuce; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Coarsely chop the almonds.
- Coarsely chop the olives.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Measure the onion.
- Stir the chickpea batter.
- Peel the orange by hand.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad.