Vegan Caesar salad with tempeh croutons
Vegan, Mediterranean, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, Family-Friendly
Crispy tempeh croutons top this fast and easy main-course Caesar salad made with massaged kale.
In your bag
- ½ pound tempeh
- 1 organic romaine heart or other lettuce
- 3 ounces organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 organic celery ribs
- 3 ounces organic shredded kale
- Sun Basket vegan Caesar dressing (almond milk - cashew butter - lemon juice - Dijon mustard - capers - vegan Worcestershire - kosher salt - nutritional yeast - garlic - black pepper - onion powder)
- Sun Basket vegan “Parmesan” (nutritional yeast - almond meal)
To add depth of flavor to the vegan “Parmesan,” put it in a dry small frying pan (preferably nonstick) over medium-high heat, season lightly with salt, and toast, stirring constantly, until fragrant and slightly golden, about 1 minute. Let cool before using. For spicy croutons, toss the crisped tempeh with a little cayenne or other spicy-hot seasoning.
A cousin of tofu, tempeh originated in Indonesia and is made from lightly fermented whole soybeans, which means it has more fiber and protein than its relative, plus a subtly sweet, earthy flavor when cooked.
Calories: 450, Protein: 27g (54% DV), Fiber: 15g (60% DV), Total Fat: 23g (35% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 9g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 580mg (24% DV), Carbohydrates: 34g (11% DV), Total Sugars: 5g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts (almond, cashew), Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.