Spicy Balinese chicken with cucumber-cabbage salad
Lean & Clean, Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo, Diabetes-Friendly, Gluten-Free
Spicy sambal oelek and Indonesian seasonings bring balanced heat and flavor to chicken, served with a cool cucumber-cabbage salad for a crowd-pleasing paleo meal.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Sun Basket turmeric spice blend (granulated garlic - ground turmeric - ground ginger)
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek (optional)
- 1 organic cucumber
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- Sun Basket cashew dressing base (cashew butter - coconut aminos - fresh lime juice - sesame oil - fresh garlic - sambal oelek - fresh ginger)
- ¼ pound organic shredded green or other cabbage
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons roasted cashews
Sprinkling the chicken with a few drops of water before pounding protects the integrity of the meat as it flattens. Without it, the plastic wrap can stick to the chicken, interfering with your ability to stretch and flatten the meat. Waxed paper or parchment paper also works well in place of plastic wrap.
Make It Leaner
You can reduce your calories and fat by using less dressing. Each tablespoon of dressing base has 70 calories and 6 grams of fat. Instead of adding oil, thin the dressing with 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] warm water and save 20 calories and 2.5 grams of fat for each tablespoon of dressing made. Use any leftover dressing as a dip for vegetables the next day.
Sambal oelek is one of our favorite tools to bring heat and flavor to a dish. Sambal is an Indonesian term for a sauce made with chiles, and oelek refers to the mortar and pestle traditionally used to make it. We recommend stirring in one-third for mild heat and two-thirds for medium, and all of it if you like things super spicy.
Calories: 470, Protein: 37g (74% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 32g (49% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 11g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 115mg (38% DV), Sodium: 530mg (22% DV), Carbohydrates: 26g (9% DV), Total Sugars: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts (cashew)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.