In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spicy Balinese chicken with cucumber-cabbage salad
Mediterranean, Spicy, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Lean & Clean, Carb-Conscious, Dairy-Free, Diabetes-Friendly, Paleo
2 Servings, 490 Calories/Serving
Spicy sambal oelek and Indonesian seasonings bring balanced heat and flavor to chicken, served with a cool cucumber-cabbage salad for a crowd-pleasing paleo meal.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Sun Basket turmeric spice blend (granulated garlic - turmeric - ground ginger)
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek (optional)
- 1 organic cucumber
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted cashews
- Sun Basket cashew dressing base (cashew butter - coconut aminos - lime juice - toasted sesame oil - garlic - sambal oelek - ginger)
- ¼ pound organic shredded green or other cabbage
Sambal oelek is one of our favorite tools to bring heat and flavor to a dish. Sambal is an Indonesian term for a sauce made with chiles, and oelek refers to the mortar and pestle traditionally used to make it. We recommend stirring in one-third for mild heat, two-thirds for medium, and all of it if you like things super spicy.
Calories: 490, Protein: 31g (62% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 29g (45% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 13g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 130mg (43% DV), Sodium: 170mg (7% DV), Carbohydrates: 22g (7% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts (cashew)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side for thighs, 4 to 6 minutes per side for breasts. Transfer to a plate.
While the chicken cooks, make the cucumber-cabbage salad and prepare the garnishes.
Make the cucumber-cabbage salad; prep the garnishes
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber into enough ½-inch pieces to measure 3 cups [6 cups].
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into ½-inch pieces.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
- Using the bottom of a bowl or cup, lightly crush the cashews for garnish.
In a large bowl, toss together the cucumber, bell pepper, cabbage, and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] cashew dressing (set aside the remaining dressing for serving). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Measure the cucumber.
- Strip the mint leaves.
- Crush the cashews.
- Garnish with the mint and cashews.