In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Blazin’ Balinese chicken with cucumber-cabbage salad
Gluten-Free, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, Dairy-Free, Lean & Clean, Paleo, Mediterranean, Spicy, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 540 Calories/Serving
Check the weather report because this blazin’ combo delivers a tropical heat wave. For warming flavor, we dredge chicken in spicy sambal oelek, then cool it all down with a breezy cucumber-cabbage salad.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Sunbasket turmeric spice blend (granulated garlic - turmeric - ground ginger)
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek (optional)
- 1 organic cucumber
- 1 wedge organic green or other cabbage (about 7 ounces)
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- Sunbasket cashew dressing base (cashew butter - coconut aminos - lime juice - toasted sesame oil - garlic - sambal oelek - ginger)
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted cashews
Calories: 540, Protein: 29g (58% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 36g (55% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 13g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 95mg (32% DV), Sodium: 190mg (8% DV), Carbohydrates: 31g (10% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts (cashew)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, stir together the turmeric spice blend and as much sambal oelek as you like. Add the chicken and rub all over with the mixture.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side for thighs, 4 to 6 minutes per side for breasts. Transfer to a plate. Meanwhile, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Make the cucumber-cabbage salad
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber into ½-inch pieces.
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into ½-inch pieces.
In a small bowl, stir together the cashew dressing base and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss together the cucumber, cabbage, bell pepper, and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] cashew dressing (set aside the remaining dressing for serving). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Prep the garnishes
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Using the bottom of a bowl or cup, lightly crush the cashews.
Transfer the chicken and cucumber-cabbage salad to individual plates and garnish the salad with the mint and cashews. Serve the remaining dressing and sambal oelek on the side.
- Time the chicken.
- Strip the mint leaves.
- Crush the cashews.
- Garnish with the mint and cashews.