Spicy blackened sole with citrus pico de gallo and herbed cauliflower “rice”
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Spicy, Low Calorie
2 Servings, 540 Calories/Serving, 30 - 40 Minutes
Blackened fish might sound like a classic from a hundred years ago, but it was invented by the brilliant Cajun chef Paul Prudhomme in the 1980s, when he dredged and pan-fried catfish fillets in a potent mix of cayenne and paprika. Here, Sun Basket R&D chef Paul Conte gives the dish a delicious Mexican spin, swapping in earthy ancho and pasilla negro chiles for the Cajun blackening spices. Our staff nutritionist, Kaley Todd, loves it because the blend adds so much flavor without any added sodium.
- 1 grapefruit
- 2 scallions
- 1 satsuma mandarin
- 1 to 2 shallots
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh chives
- ¾ pound cauliflower “rice”
- Two 5-ounce sole fillets
- Blackening spice blend (ancho chile powder - pasilla negro chile powder - sweet smoked paprika - granulated garlic - cumin)
Make the pico de gallo
- Using your hands or a sharp knife, peel the grapefruit; working over a medium bowl, cut between the membranes to release the segments into the bowl. Squeeze the membranes to release any juice. Discard any seeds.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions. Add 1 tablespoon to the bowl with the grapefruit. Set aside the rest for the cauliflower “rice.”
- Peel the mandarin and separate the fruit into segments.
- Peel and finely chop the shallot.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure ½ teaspoon.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Cook the herbed cauliflower “rice"
- Finely chop the chives.
While the cauliflower “rice” cooks, prepare the sole.
Prep and cook the blackened sole
- Pat the sole dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper and sprinkle with all of the blackening spice blend, coating the fillets well.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 540, Protein: 22 g, Total Fat: 35 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 25 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5 g, Saturated Fat: 5 g, Cholesterol: 55 mg Carbohydrates: 42 g, Fiber: 9 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 700