Blackened sole with citrus pico de gallo and cauliflower “rice”

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Blackened sole with citrus pico de gallo and cauliflower “rice”

Great for Entertaining

Blackened sole with citrus pico de gallo and cauliflower “rice”

Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, <600 Calories

2 Servings, 410 Calories/Serving

30–45 Minutes

We give this Cajun seafood classic a Mexican spin with a bright citrus salsa, and keep things paleo and gluten-free with a savory side of cauliflower “rice.”

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 2 mixed citrus fruits (such as 1 grapefruit and 1 orange)
  • 1 red onion
  • 3 scallions
  • 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
  • 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
  • ½ head cauliflower
  • Fish options:
  • 2 wild sole fillets (about 5 ounces each)
  • 2 wild Alaskan halibut fillets (about 5 ounces each)
  • Blackening spice blend (ancho chile powder - sweet paprika - granulated garlic - cumin)

Nutrition per serving

Calories 410, Total Fat 18g (23% DV), Sat. Fat 2.5g (13% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 65mg (22% DV), Sodium 480mg (21% DV), Total Carb. 41g (15% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 13g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 24g
Contains: Fish

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten.

*Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Make the citrus pico de gallo

  • Using your hands or a sharp knife, peel the citrus fruits; working over a large bowl, cut between the membranes to release the segments into the bowl. Squeeze the membranes to release any juice. Alternatively, cut the fruit in half crosswise and separate each half into segments. Discard any seeds.
  • Peel and finely chop enough onion to measure ½ cup [¾ cup].
  • Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the green parts for the cauliflower “rice.”
  • Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure ½ teaspoon [1 tsp].
  • Coarsely chop the cilantro.
To the bowl with the citrus, add the onion, white parts of the scallions, garlic, cilantro, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil and stir to combine. Let stand while you prepare the rest of the meal. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


Prep and cook the cauliflower “rice”

  • Cut the cauliflower lengthwise into quarters, discarding any leaves or thick stalks. Using a food processor fitted with the grater attachment, or using the coarse holes of a box grater, coarsely grate the cauliflower. Alternatively, using a knife, cut the florets into corn-kernel-sized pieces.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil until hot but not smoking. Add the cauliflower “rice,” season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower starts to soften, 3 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the green parts of the scallions and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil.
While the cauliflower “rice” cooks, prepare the fish.


Prep and cook the fish

Prep and cook instructions are almost identical for both fish options.
  • Pat the fish dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the blackening spice blend, coating the fillets well on both sides.
In another large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons [2 to 3 TBL] oil until hot but not smoking. Add the fish, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, turning once, until the fish is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side for sole, 3 to 5 minutes per side for halibut.


Transfer the cauliflower “rice” to individual plates. Top with the fish, spoon the citrus pico de gallo over the fish, and serve.
Kids Can!
  • Peel the citrus by hand.
  • Press the garlic (if you have a press).
  • Stir together the citrus pico de gallo.