Spicy chicken tinga tostadas with avocado and queso fresco
25 – 35 Minutes
This is quick and easy Mexican comfort food at its finest. Our custom tinga sauce packs a mild, smoky heat, which we temper with avocado and crumbled queso fresco
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 or 3 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Tinga sauce base (diced tomatoes - chipotle chile in gluten-free adobo sauce - crushed tomatillos)
- 8 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 ounce queso fresco
The tortillas can also be crisped in a 400°F oven or toaster oven. On a sheet pan, brush the tortillas all over with about 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt; arrange side by side. Toast in the oven, turning halfway through, until the tortillas are crisp, 12 to 15 minutes.
Prep and cook the onion
- Peel and thinly slice enough yellow onion to measure 1 cup.
While the onion cooks, prepare the garlic and chicken.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the tortillas.
Crisp the tortillas
- Remove 6 tortillas from the package; save the rest for another use (or make extra tostadas).
While the tortillas crisp, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 47g (94% DV), Fiber: 14g (56% DV), Total Fat: 48g (74% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 25g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 135mg (45% DV), Sodium: 510mg (21% DV) (does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV), Carbohydrates: 56g (19% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.