In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spicy Chinese black pepper steak with bell pepper and jasmine rice
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Spicy, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 730 Calories/Serving
Hold on tight. This bold Chinese-American dish gets its flavor kick from a few punchy ingredients: spicy black pepper, fermented black soybeans, and our rich house-made steak marinade.
In your bag
- ¾ cup jasmine rice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- Steak options:
- 2 organic filet mignons (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 Black Angus New York strips (about 10 ounces each)
- 2 Black Angus rib-eyes (about 10 ounces each)
- Sunbasket steak marinade (gluten-free tamari - toasted sesame oil - rice vinegar - garlic - ginger)
- 1 organic white onion
- 1 organic green or other bell pepper
- 3 organic scallions
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- Sunbasket fermented black soybean sauce base (fermented black soybeans - canola oil - garlic - ginger - gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - Marash chile flakes - brown sugar)
Calories 730, Total Fat 25g (32% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 55mg (18% DV), Sodium 720mg (31% DV), Total Carb. 93g (34% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 7g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 35g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1¼ cups [2¼ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and marinate the steaks
- Set aside half the cornstarch and half the black pepper for the black pepper sauce.
- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel; cut the steaks into 1-inch pieces.
In a medium bowl, combine the steaks, steak marinade, half the cornstarch, and half the black pepper and toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; make the black pepper sauce
- Peel the onion and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into 1-inch pieces.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; cut the scallions into ½-inch pieces, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the white parts for the stir-fry and the green parts for garnish.
- Thinly slice the garlic.
In a small bowl, whisk together the fermented black bean sauce base, remaining cornstarch, remaining black pepper, and ¼ cup [½ cup] water.
Brown the steaks
In a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the steaks and marinade and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan.
Cook the vegetables; finish the stir-fry
In the same pan used for the steaks, if dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the white parts of the scallions and garlic and cook until fragrant and the vegetables start to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the steaks and any accumulated juices and toss to combine. Add the black pepper sauce and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and the steaks are cooked to the desired doneness, 2 to 3 minutes for medium. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the rice to individual bowls and top with the vegetables and black pepper steak. Garnish with the green parts of the scallions and serve.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice and black pepper sauce.
- Divide the cornstarch.
- Time the cooking.
- Garnish with the green parts of the scallions.