In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spicy chipotle turkey and sweet potato chili with cabbage slaw
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, Spicy, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 530 Calories/Serving
Don’t say we didn't warn you. Spiked with chipotle chile powder, sweet paprika, and granulated garlic, this contest-worthy chili packs one heck of a punch.
In your bag
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- 1 organic sweet potato
- 1 organic green or other bell pepper
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket chili spice blend (chipotle chile powder - coriander - cumin - sweet paprika - granulated garlic)
- Sunbasket tomato sauce (tomatoes - onions - garlic - olive oil - salt - spices)
- 1 wedge organic green or other cabbage (about 7 ounces)
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Calories 530, Total Fat 25g (32% DV), Sat. Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 100mg (33% DV), Sodium 600mg (26% DV), Total Carb. 44g (16% DV), Fiber 11g (39% DV), Total Sugars 15g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 35g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
- Scrub or peel the sweet potato; cut the potato into ½-inch pieces.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into ½-inch pieces.
Prep your protein
- Ground meat (including plant based): Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; crumble or cut into ½-inch pieces.
Start cooking your protein
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring and breaking up the ground meat if using, until the protein is lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Cook the chili
In the same pot used for your protein, add the shallots and sweet potato, season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the chili spice blend and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add your protein, bell pepper, tomato sauce, and 2 cups [3 cups] water. Season with salt and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until your protein is cooked through, the vegetables are tender, and the chili has thickened, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. When the chili is almost done, prepare the cabbage slaw.
Make the cabbage slaw
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, 2 teaspoons [4 tsp] oil, half the apple cider vinegar, and half the cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper and more vinegar, if desired.
Transfer the chili to individual bowls. Garnish with the remaining cilantro and as much cabbage slaw as you like. Serve any remaining slaw on the side.
- Measure the shallots.
- Scrub the sweet potato.
- Measure the water for the chili.
- Assemble the slaw.
- Garnish the chili.