Spicy chipotle turkey chili with jicama-radish salad
Paleo, Gluten Free, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Spicy
30 – 40 Minutes
This warming one-pot paleo chili takes only about half an hour to come together. The sweet potato in the chili and the cool, crisp salad help tame the heat.
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Turkey chili spice blend (chili powder - granulated garlic - cumin - coriander)
- Chipotle spice blend (chipotle chile powder - sweet smoked paprika) (optional)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- 1 lime
- ½ pound jicama sticks
- ½ teaspoon sumac
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
Make It Leaner
Use just 1 teaspoon oil in Step 3 when preparing the jicama-radish salad to shave off 20 calories and 4.5 grams of fat from each serving. To slash another 200 calories and 9 grams of fat per serving, serve only two-thirds of the chili and save the rest for lunch the next day.
Prep the chili ingredients
- Cut a small corner from the ground turkey packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup.
- Scrub or peel the sweet potato. Trim the ends and cut the potato lengthwise into ½-inch-wide slices, then crosswise into ½-inch cubes.
Cook the chili
Stir in the sweet potato, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and 1 cup water and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato is tender and the chili has thickened, 20 to 25 minutes.
While the chili simmers, prepare the jicama-radish salad.
Start the jicama-radish salad
- Trim the ends from the radishes; thinly slice the radishes.
- Juice the lime.
Chop the cilantro; finish the salad
- When the chili is almost done, coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 33g (66% DV), Fiber: 14g (56% DV), Total Fat: 27g (42% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 770mg (32% DV), Carbohydrates: 54g (18% DV), Total Sugars: 16g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.