Spicy chipotle turkey chili with jicama-radish salad
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Spicy
30 - 40 Minutes
Chili can be a surprisingly divisive dish. Regional variations exist around the country. From Texas red chili made with meat and no beans, to sweet Cincinnati chili made with cocoa powder, each version claims to be the best. We think this is the One Chili to Rule Them All. You can control the heat by using only a portion of the chipotle (we don’t recommend skipping it, as we love its smoky flavor). A cool, crisp side salad of jicama and radishes also helps tame the heat.
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Chili spice blend (chili powder - granulated garlic - cumin - coriander)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ pound jicama
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon sumac
- Fresh cilantro
Prep the chili ingredients
- Cut off a small corner from the ground turkey packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Peel and finely chop the shallots to measure ¼ cup.
- Finely chop the chipotle chile.
- Scrub or peel the sweet potato. Trim the ends and cut the potato in half lengthwise, then cut each half into ½-inch cubes.
Make the chili
Stir in the sweet potato, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and 1 cup water. Season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato is tender and the chili has thickened, 20 to 25 minutes.
While the chili simmers, prepare the jicama-radish salad.
Start the jicama-radish salad
- Using a sharp knife or a peeler, remove the peel from the jicama; cut the white flesh into ½-inch-thick sticks.
- Trim the ends from the radishes; thinly slice the radishes.
- Juice the lime.
Chop the cilantro; finish the salad
- When the chili is almost done, coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 640, Protein: 32g, Total Fat: 34g, Monounsaturated Fat: 21g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 105mg, Carbohydrates: 50g, Fiber: 13g, Sugar: 15g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 820mg