Spicy chorizo and tomatillo chili with sweet potato and pumpkin seeds
Paleo-Friendly, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Spicy
30 – 40 Minutes
Zippy chorizo, tangy tomatillos, and ancho chile, if you like it spicy, deliver layers of flavor in a paleo-friendly chili that’s ready in a flash.
- 1 pound fresh loose chorizo (contains pork and spices)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 lime
- 1 ancho chile (optional)
- Chili spice blend (New Mexican chile powder - granulated garlic - dried oregano)
- 2 cups crushed tomatillos (about 1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- Tortilla strips*
- *Not paleo; omit for a paleo-strict version.
It’s more efficient to cut the bell pepper by placing it skin side down on your cutting board, as the knife will pierce the flesh side more easily.
Cook the chorizo
- Cut a small corner from the chorizo packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
While the chorizo cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining chili ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- Scrub or peel the sweet potato. Trim the ends and cut the potato in half crosswise. Cut each half lengthwise into ½-inch-thick slices, the slices lengthwise into ½-inch-thick sticks, then the sticks into ½-inch cubes.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; finely chop the pepper.
- Cut the lime into wedges for garnish.
- If using the ancho, remove the stem and shake out the seeds; finely chop enough ancho to measure 1 to 2 tablespoons. Wash your hands after handling.
Cook the chili
Add the tomatillos, chorizo, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chili has thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the maple syrup and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Scrub the sweet potato.
- Measure out 2 cups water.
- Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds.
- Serve the meal.
- Help clean up.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 30g (60% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 44g (68% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 12g (60% DV), Cholesterol: 75mg (25% DV), Sodium: 910mg (38% DV) (does not include pantry salt; for reference, ½ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV), Carbohydrates: 46g (15% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars (Maple syrup): 2g (4% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Tree nuts.
Paleo-strict nutrition per serving: Calories: 560, Protein: 29g (58% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 38g (58% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 10g (50% DV), Cholesterol: 75mg (25% DV), Sodium: 780mg (33% DV) (does not include pantry salt; for reference, ½ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV), Carbohydrates: 30g (10% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 2g (4% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Tree nuts.