In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chorizo chili with tomatillos and black beans
Gluten-Free Friendly, Soy-Free, Spicy, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 600 Calories/Serving
Make mealtime me-time with this quick-cooking stew. Just throw in chorizo, black beans, and smoky spices, turn up the heat, and what do you know, you’ve got all the flavor of a long-simmered chili in no time flat.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- ½ pound fresh loose chorizo (contains pork and spices)
- Sunbasket chili spice blend (spices - chile pepper - paprika - dehydrated garlic - salt)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup crushed tomatillos
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup organic Greek yogurt
Calories 600, Total Fat 26g (33% DV), Sat. Fat 8g (40% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 55mg (18% DV), Sodium 1100mg (48% DV), Total Carb. 63g (23% DV), Fiber 17g (61% DV), Total Sugars 30g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 34g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure ¾ cup [1½ cups] for the chili; finely chop the remaining onion for garnish.
- Rinse the black beans.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro. Divide into two equal portions, one for the chili and one for garnish.
- Cut a small corner from the chorizo packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
Cook the chili
In a medium [large] sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Stir in the coarsely chopped onion, chili spice blend, and tomato paste, season with salt and pepper, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the beans, tomatillos, tomatoes, 1¾ cups [3½ cups] water, and half the cilantro and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chorizo is cooked through and the chili is thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chili to individual bowls. Garnish with the yogurt, remaining cilantro, and as much finely chopped onion as you like and serve.
- Measure the onion.
- Rinse the black beans.
- Divide the cilantro into two portions.
- Measure the water for the chili.
- Garnish the chili.