Chorizo chili with tomatillos and black beans
30 – 45 Minutes
This quick-cooking, gluten-free stew delivers all the flavor of a long-cooked bowl of chili in a fraction of the time.
In your bag
- ½ pound fresh loose chorizo (contains pork and spices)
- 1 red onion
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- Sun Basket chili spice blend (chili powder - coriander - cumin - sweet paprika - granulated garlic)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup crushed tomatillos
- ¾ cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
Greek yogurt isn’t actually known as “Greek” in Greece because it’s not from only that country. It’s made throughout the Middle East by draining off the watery whey from plain yogurt until the yogurt thickens. The longer the yogurt is drained, the thicker it becomes.
Make It Ahead
The chili can be prepared up to 1 day ahead (Steps 1 through 3, minus chopping the garnishing onion and cilantro). Let cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight. About 20 minutes before serving, gently rewarm the chili and prep the garnishes. Top with the Greek yogurt, onion, and cilantro and serve.
Cook the chorizo
- Cut a small corner from the chorizo packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
While the chorizo cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure ¾ cup [1½ cups] for the chili; finely chop enough additional onion to measure ¼ cup [½ cup] for garnish.
- Rinse the black beans.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro. Divide into two equal portions, one for the chili and one for garnish.
Cook the chili
Add the chorizo, beans, tomatillos, tomatoes, 2 cups [4 cups] water, and half the cilantro. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chorizo is cooked through and the chili is thickened, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Measure the onion.
- Rinse the black beans.
- Divide the cilantro.
- Garnish the chili.
Calories: 570, Protein: 31g (62% DV), Fiber: 14g (56% DV), Total Fat: 36g (55% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 8g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 9g (45% DV), Cholesterol: 75mg (25% DV), Sodium: 1190mg (50% DV), Carbohydrates: 40g (13% DV), Total Sugars: 13g, Added Sugar: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.