In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spicy Indonesian chicken and eggplant rendang with coconut black rice
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Spicy
2 Servings, 640 Calories/Serving
For this fiery curry, we’ve loaded our rendang simmer sauce with sambal oelek, our favorite Indonesian hot sauce. Black rice cooked in coconut milk cools things off.
In your bag
- ½ cup black rice
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Sunbasket Indonesian spice blend (five-spice powder - ground turmeric - coriander)
- 1 organic Asian eggplant
- 3 organic scallions
- 1 organic lime
- Sunbasket rendang simmer sauce base (coconut milk - onion - honey - sambal oelek - tamarind paste - fresh garlic - fresh ginger - lemongrass - kosher salt - Chinese chiles - sweet paprika)
- 3 ounces organic baby spinach or other leafy greens
Calories 640, Total Fat 24g (31% DV), Sat. Fat 7g (35% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 135mg (45% DV), Sodium 1800mg (78% DV), Total Carb. 75g (27% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 19g (Incl. 8g Added Sugars, 16% DV), Protein 36g
Contains: Tree Nuts (coconut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
While the rice cooks, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces; season generously with salt and pepper and the Indonesian spice blend.
While the chicken browns, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Remove the stem from the eggplant; cut the eggplant in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick half-moons.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal, keeping the light and dark green parts separate.
- Juice half the lime; cut half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lime; cut 1 lime into wedges.]
Cook the rendang
Add the chicken and any accumulated juices, rendang simmer sauce base, and ½ cup [1 cup] water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly, 2 to 4 minutes.
Working in batches if needed, stir in the spinach and cook until just wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt, pepper, and lime juice.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Juice the lime.
- Measure the water for the rendang.
- Garnish with the scallions.