In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spicy Jamaican black bean tostadas with sweet peppers and mango slaw
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegan, Spicy
2 Servings, 630 Calories/Serving
In this Caribbean riff on a Mexican staple, jerk-inspired spices give refried beans a smoky kick, while juicy mango, crisp cabbage, and bright lime juice bring home the tropical island vibe.
In your bag
- 8 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- ¼ pound organic sweet mini peppers
- ¾ pound organic shredded green or other cabbage
- 1 organic mango
- 3 organic scallions
- 1 organic lime
- 1½ cups cooked black beans
- 2 tablespoons diced mild green chiles
- Sunbasket Jamaican spice blend (chipotle chile powder - granulated garlic - allspice - ground ginger - cayenne - cloves)
Calories 630, Total Fat 27g (35% DV), Sat. Fat 4g (20% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 240mg (10% DV), Total Carb. 90g (33% DV), Fiber 18g (64% DV), Total Sugars 26g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 15g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Crisp the tortillas
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 to 3 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches, add the tortillas and cook, turning once, until crisp, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate and season with salt. Add more oil between batches if needed. Wipe out the pan.
Prep and cook the peppers and cabbage
- Remove the stems and seeds from the sweet mini peppers; cut the peppers lengthwise into quarters.
In the same pan used for the tortillas, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the peppers, season with salt and pepper, and cook, turning once, until browned and starting to soften, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Stir the cabbage into the pan and cook over high heat until lightly browned and starting to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Do not clean the pan. While the peppers and cabbage are cooking, prepare the remaining slaw ingredients.
Make the slaw
- Trim the ends from the mango; cut away the peel, then cut the flesh away from the pit. Cut the fruit into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; cut the scallions crosswise into 2-inch pieces, then lengthwise into thin strips.
- Juice the lime.
To the bowl with the cabbage, add the mango, scallions, 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] lime juice, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cook the refried beans
- Rinse the black beans.
In the same pan used for the cabbage, stir in the beans, green chiles, Jamaican spice blend, and ¼ cup [⅓ cup] water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a vigorous simmer and cook until the beans are heated through and about half the liquid is absorbed, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and, using a fork or masher, mash the beans to a coarse paste. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the tortillas to individual plates. Spoon on the refried beans and top with the peppers and as much mango slaw as you like. Serve any remaining slaw on the side.
- Juice the lime.
- Assemble the slaw.
- Rinse the beans.
- Measure the water for the beans.
- Top the tostadas with the peppers and slaw.