In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spicy jerk chicken with gingered nectarine slaw
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, Spicy
2 Servings, 370 Calories/Serving
Hot, cold, sweet, bold—Jamaican jerk cooking is all about contrasting flavors. For smokiness and heat, we season the chicken with chipotle, allspice, and cayenne, then cool it all down with a sweet nectarine slaw.
In your bag
- 1 organic nectarine or other stone fruit
- 1 or 2 organic celery ribs
- 1-inch piece organic fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 ounces organic shredded green or other cabbage
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Sunbasket spicy Jamaican jerk seasoning (chipotle chile powder - granulated garlic - allspice - ground ginger - cayenne - cloves)
- 3 organic scallions
Calories 370, Total Fat 21g (27% DV), Sat. Fat 3.5g (18% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 135mg (45% DV), Sodium 200mg (9% DV), Total Carb. 17g (6% DV), Fiber 5g (18% DV), Total Sugars 9g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 31g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Make the gingered nectarine slaw
- Cut the nectarine in half and remove the pit; thinly slice the fruit.
- Thinly slice the celery on the diagonal.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Coarsely chop the fennel seeds.
In a large bowl, toss together the nectarine, celery, ginger, fennel seeds, cabbage, lime juice, and 1 to 2 tablespoons oil; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper and the jerk seasoning.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side for thighs, 4 to 6 minutes per side for breasts. Transfer to a plate. Meanwhile, prepare the scallions and finish the slaw.
Prep the scallions; finish the slaw
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions. Set aside 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] for garnish.
To the bowl with the slaw, add all except 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] scallions and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the gingered nectarine slaw to individual plates and top with the chicken. Garnish with the remaining scallions and serve.
- Measure the ginger.
- Assemble the slaw.
- Time the chicken.
- Garnish with the scallions.