In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spicy mapo eggplant with yuba and mushrooms
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Spicy, Vegan
2 Servings, 820 Calories/Serving
For a more authentic flavor in this veganized take on the popular Chinese mapo tofu dish, don’t skimp on the pepper oil; the tingle is what makes it memorable.
In your bag
- ½ cup long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 organic globe eggplant
- 2 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- 3 organic scallions
- ¼ pound Hodo organic spicy yuba noodles
- Sun Basket mapo base (fermented black soybeans - canola oil - garlic - ginger - gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - Chinese chiles - brown sugar)
Calories: 820, Protein: 26g (52% DV), Fiber: 13g (52% DV), Total Fat: 45g (69% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 24g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 4g (20% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 320mg (13% DV), Carbohydrates: 81g (27% DV), Total Sugars: 13g, Added Sugars: 3g (6% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the rest of the meal.
Make the pepper oil
- Place the peppercorns in a small heatproof bowl.
Prep the mapo eggplant ingredients
- Remove the stem from the eggplant; cut the eggplant into 1-inch cubes.
- Coarsely chop the mushrooms.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the green parts for garnish.
- Coarsely chop the yuba strips.
Cook the eggplant and mushrooms
In the same pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons neutral oil until hot but not smoking. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the eggplant. Do not clean the pan.
Finish the dish
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice and mapo sauce.
- Garnish with the scallions.