In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spicy scrambled egg bhurji with sweet potato “toasts”
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Vegetarian, Diabetes-Friendly, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 550 Calories/Serving
Transform plain ol’ scrambled eggs into a mouthwatering meal with tomatoes, serrano chile, and fragrant spices—best spooned over sweet potato “toasts.”
In your bag
- 1 organic sweet potato
- 1 organic red onion
- 1-inch piece organic fresh ginger
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 1 organic serrano or other fresh chile (optional)
- 6 organic eggs
- Sunbasket bhurji spice blend (spices - paprika - turmeric - ground mustard - salt)
- 1 cup diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- ¼ cup raisins
- 3 ounces organic baby spinach or other leafy greens
Calories 550, Total Fat 26g (33% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 460mg (153% DV), Sodium 510mg (22% DV), Total Carb. 58g (21% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 22g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 22g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the sweet potato “toasts”
Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Scrub the sweet potato. Cut the potato lengthwise into ½-inch-thick slices.
On a sheet pan, drizzle the sweet potato with 1 to 2 tablespoons oil, season generously with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Spread in a single layer and roast until the potato is tender and lightly browned, 13 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients and start the bhurji.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 2 teaspoons [1 TBL].
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- If using the serrano, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; finely chop the serrano. Wash your hands after handling.
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Lightly beat with a fork until just blended.
Cook the bhurji
In a medium [large] frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the ginger and as much serrano as you like and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the bhurji spice blend and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and raisins; using the back of a spoon or spatula, mash the tomatoes into the onion mixture, breaking up the tomatoes to form a thick sauce, 2 to 3 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium, add the eggs, and stir them into the sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are set, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the spinach. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the bhurji and sweet potato “toasts” to individual bowls or plates, garnish with the cilantro, and serve.
- Scrub the sweet potato.
- Toss the sweet potato with oil and season.
- Measure the ginger.
- Garnish with the cilantro.