In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spicy shakshuka with falafel “Scotch” eggs and lemon-tahini sauce
Spicy, Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 740 Calories/Serving
This mash-up of two Middle Eastern favorites—shakshuka and falafel—is not only genius but also delicious.
In your bag
- 4 organic eggs
- 1 organic yellow onion
- ½ cup roasted red peppers
- Sun Basket spicy tomato sauce base (tomatoes - tomato paste - garlic - sweet smoked paprika - cayenne)
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Sun Basket lemon-tahini sauce base (lemon juice - tahini - garlic - orange juice - Marash chile flakes)
- Sun Basket falafel blend (gluten-free panko - chickpea flour - granulated garlic - coriander - cumin)
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 3 ounces organic baby spinach or other leafy greens
Calories: 740, Protein: 22g (44% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 48g (74% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 33g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 310mg (103% DV), Sodium: 410mg (17% DV), Carbohydrates: 51g (17% DV), Total Sugars: 13g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the 5-minute eggs
Start the shakshuka
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure ¾ cup [1½ cups].
- Scrape off any seeds from the roasted red peppers; coarsely chop any large pieces.
Make the lemon-tahini sauce and falafel batter
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; finely chop enough cilantro to measure 1 tablespoon [2 TBL]. Set aside the remaining cilantro for garnish.
In a medium bowl, combine the falafel blend, finely chopped cilantro, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lemon-tahini sauce, and ⅓ cup [⅔ cup] water and season generously with salt and pepper. Using a fork or whisk, mix until well combined; if needed, add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the mixture resembles thick pancake batter.
Cook the “Scotch” eggs
- On a plate or shallow bowl, spread the chickpea flour in an even layer.
Add the egg to the pan and cook, turning frequently, until dark brown and heated through, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate and season with salt and pepper. Repeat to coat and cook the remaining eggs.
Finish the shakshuka
- Peel the eggs.
- Measure the onion.
- Make the lemon-tahini sauce.
- Coat the eggs with chickpea flour and falafel batter.
- Garnish with cilantro and lemon-tahini sauce.