Spicy Thai-style beef with broccoli and basmati rice
Gluten Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Spicy
30 – 40 Minutes
From the test kitchen of our partner Williams-Sonoma comes this smart take on one of our takeout favorites. Steak and broccoli both get the authentic Thai treatment, but with quick and easy ingredients. Dinner will be on the table in less time than it takes to get delivery.
- ¾ cup basmati rice
- ½ pound broccoli
- 1 to 2 shallots
- Fresh ginger
- Fresh basil
- 1 lime
- 10 ounces top sirloin steak strips
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste (dried red chiles - fresh garlic - lemongrass - salt - shallot - galangal - shrimp paste - kaffir lime zest - black pepper)
- 6 ounces coconut milk
- ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
Cook the rice
- In a strainer, rinse the rice under cold water.
While the rice cooks, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Cut the broccoli into 1-inch florets.
- Peel and thinly slice the shallot.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1½ tablespoons.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
Cook the beef
- Pat the steak strips dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
Cook the curry
Add the broccoli and 3 tablespoons water and cook until the florets are just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the coconut milk, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring to dissolve the sugar, until the sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Return the beef to the sauce and simmer until heated through, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt. Meanwhile:
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 630, Protein: 37 g, Total Fat: 23 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 11 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 75 mg, Carbohydrates 73 g, Fiber: 6 g, Added Sugar (Brown Sugar): 2 g, Sodium: 480 mg
Contains: fish, shellfish